Go down
View user profile

Sick of MMA snobs

on Sun 13 May - 23:19
I'm sick of MMA snobs. These are the guys who trash all other martial arts because "They dont work in the ring" These guys usually have their one style they idolize its almost always Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu and think everything else is garbage. They dont realize no one style works for all situations. To be a well rounded fighter you should train in multiple styles and for multiuple situations and many styles can be effective if you train in full contact sparring as well as kata and line drills.

Note I do have a black belt in Jiu Jitsu and I incorporate Muay Thai into my Kick boxing where its appropriate so I am familiar with both.

For those that dont know my background
2nd Degree Black belt Kenpo
Black Belt Jiu Jitsu
I practice Kick Boxing and Muay Thai but they have no belts or rankings
2nd degree black belt Kendo (not really applicable here as Kendo is more akin to fencing only with Katanas)

What pisses me off is when they trash talk kenpo.
"It doesn't work in the ring"
Its true I probably wouldn't take Kenpo into a mma match and theres a reason for that. Kenpo is primarily a self defense style.

Here's a list of illegal moves in MMA

Grabbing the fence
Holding opponent’s shorts or gloves
Head-butting
Biting or spitting at an opponent
Hair pulling
Fish-hooking
Intentionally placing a finger into any orifice, or into any cut or laceration of an opponent
Eye gouging of any kind
Groin attacks
Downward pointing of elbow strikes (see 12-6 elbow)
Small joint manipulation
Strikes to the spine or back of the head or anything behind the ears (see Rabbit punch)
Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea
Clawing, pinching, twisting the flesh
Kicking the head of a grounded opponent (see Soccer kick)
Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent
Stomping an opponent on the ground
Swearing or offensive language in the cage
Any unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to opponent
Attacking an opponent during a break
Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee
Timidity (avoiding contact, consistent dropping of mouthpiece, or faking an injury)
Interference from a mixed martial artist's cornerman
Flagrant disregard of the referee’s instructions
Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his or her head or neck (see Piledriver)
Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat

That eliminates a good portion of Kenpo which is pretty dirty. You learn throat jabs, eye rakes, joint locks and join hits, ground stomps etc at white belt. Kenpo isn't meant to be sportsmanlike its meant to put an opponent on the ground and be unable to get back up. If done right they should be gasping for air from that throat jab, nursing a broken elbow and a broken shin, and their eyes should be tearing up from a broken nose. If I disqualify a large portion of a styles techniques it wont be effective in a ring and Kenpo isn't designed for the ring. In a real fight I am going to break your knee with a kick, I am going to punch you in the throat, I am going to rake your eyes, I am going to kick you in the groin, I am going to stomp on you when your grounded. I'd be disqualified from an MMA match in seconds if I tried that in a match.

"No one is going to stand there while you execute a 20 hit combo"

this shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the philosophy and purpose of the techniques and Katas that teach that. You learn the long combo chains to train your body on how moves flow into one another. You shouldn't go into a fight thinking you will counter a punch with a perfect execution of "inward defense" The reason you learn them is to teach your body how an inside block becomes a backfist, becomes an elbow becomes a hammerfist. It teaches you economy of movement. You train to throw out 20 strikes because you throw 20 strikes and land 5 of them you can drop your opponent. The purpose of Kata and Line drill techniques are to teach muscle memory and get you ready for overwhelming offense.

A style is going to be as effective as the school and how you practice. We are aware that a real fight wont go down like a line drill. A real opponent wont stand there and let you perform your entire Combo on them. As you progress in the belts we teach you the Kata, We teach you the line drill then we begin with full speed practice and "Improv" and the improv is where we DONT stand there and let you do it. We follow that first punch up with a second punch etc and you abandon the pre rehearsed routines and mix up the techniques to respond to whats coming at you. We put you in gloves and start you sparring from the beginning. If you weren't trained that way you wont be as effective when in the real world no matter what your style is. Conversely if you have a lot of practical experience I'm sure you could take TKD or Karate and be more effective then people give them credit for.

Being a well rounded fighter means you should know a stand up striking style, a ground style and have experience in sparring. You should know a style that's focused on Self Defense and one that's focused on dueling. The style you choose should reflect the situation. If I'm in a stand up striking fight with untrained opponents and I want to maim or kill them I'm going Kenpo. If someone is coming at me with weapons I'm going Kenpo. If I have multiple assailants I'm going Kenpo. If its a ground fight or if I don't want to seriously injure an idiot coming at me Its Jiu Jitsu, if Im going against a trained boxer or Kick boxer/MMA I'm meeting with a mix of everything, Kenpo, Jiu Jitsu and Kickboxing/Muay Thai depending on the situation and whats coming at me.

I'm just really sick of MMA snobs and their bullshit.

/rant I'm probably the only person here who cares LOL.

Last edited by CelesChere on Mon 14 May - 5:04; edited 1 time in total
View user profile

Re: Sick of MMA snobs

on Mon 14 May - 4:41
I wouldn't say you are the only person who cares. I'm interested, I just don't have the education to UNDERSTAND most of what you speak of to any depth.

That, and I don't find myself watching MMA. I'd probably watch some Kendo if they gave it the treatment that MMA gets, but a lot of the people who are into MMA in my area tend to be the same kind of folk who want to murder me for having long hair, or not being christian, or liking dick.

The few times I have incidentally watched MMA, I certainly found the fights interesting. And there was one particular fight (maybe it wasn't MMA?) that spent so much time with the two men struggling... wrestling against each other, in a sweaty mess on the floor... That one was nice.

But I *have* heard people going on and on about how some stuff "doesn't really work" and "isn't a real fighting style." I always found that annoying.
View user profile

on Mon 14 May - 5:01
Bloodsexsugarmagick wrote:I wouldn't say you are the only person who cares. I'm interested, I just don't have the education to UNDERSTAND most of what you speak of to any depth.
If you have questions feel free to ask me. Ill explain anything your not clear on.
Bloodsexsugarmagick wrote:
That, and I don't find myself watching MMA. I'd probably watch some Kendo if they gave it the treatment that MMA gets, but a lot of the people who are into MMA in my area tend to be the same kind of folk who want to murder me for having long hair, or not being christian, or liking dick.
There are a LOT of hyper masculine toxic men in the MMA world. We are lucky to have some really great well disciplined men in our Dojo but we are also careful about who we teach. We will kick people out if they are hyper aggressive or if we find out they are using it to bully people or commit domestic violence. We have a lot of police officers who train there for their jobs so we DO find out. We would rather lose the money from someone then teach a dangerous bully how to kill someone.
The few times I have incidentally watched MMA, I certainly found the fights interesting. And there was one particular fight (maybe it wasn't MMA?) that spent so much time with the two men struggling... wrestling against each other, in a sweaty mess on the floor... That one was nice.
Probably MMA, That is an example of a fight that's gone to the ground. It ceases to be a kickboxing match at that point and becomes a wrestling/jiu jitsu match.
But I *have* heard people going on and on about how some stuff "doesn't really work" and "isn't a real fighting style." I always found that annoying.
It is really annoying a lot of these guys dont even know what they are talking about. The derision for TMA (Traditional Martial Arts) gets to be annoying after awhile.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum