Go down
View user profile

in your dreams

on Thu 24 May - 6:33
so when you dream do you see thing in a first person perspective or a third person perspective. If it is a third person view are you in the dreams or is more of you are only a disembodied camera viewing things.

for both of us we dream in third person view. and we have ask this to people before. One thing about the answers is that it is almost always either all one or the other with people no one we have asked is a mix.
View user profile

Re: in your dreams

on Thu 24 May - 6:36
first person perspective. i didn't know you can dream in a third-person perspective.
View user profile

on Thu 24 May - 7:57
Ive had dreams in both actually. Most of my dreams are 1st person while all of my 3rd person dreams ive been in a video game and I was the character. Ive had other 1st person video game dreams bt they are always 1st person shooters. (Yes I play a lot of video games)
View user profile

on Thu 24 May - 8:38
mostly first person....it's weird, I will usually wake up a half hour or so before my alarm, then go back to sleep and in that half hour will have what seems like it should be a multi-hour dream
View user profile

on Thu 24 May - 10:31
First person, always. I have a few recurring themes. Being in an old creepy house that’s falling apart. Being out in public without my pants. Stress dreams, I guess.

BrettJ wrote:mostly first person....it's weird, I will usually wake up a half hour or so before my alarm, then go back to sleep and in that half hour will have what seems like it should be a multi-hour dream

I read somewhere that the entire dream happens in the few seconds before you wake up, however long it seems to you.

Best,
UN

Admin
View user profilehttps://consanguinamory.wordpress.com

on Thu 24 May - 22:56
My dreams tend to be first person, and at times surreal. Most of the time, I dream about doing stuff I'd normally be doing when I'm awake, but every now and then my mind will throw me a weird curve ball where something happens that's not possible IRL and I'll become aware that I'm dreaming. When that happens I have three choices, let the dream play out and see what happens, control the dream, or wake up.
View user profile

on Thu 24 May - 23:21
Jane Doe wrote:My dreams tend to be first person, and at times surreal. Most of the time, I dream about doing stuff I'd normally be doing when I'm awake, but every now and then my mind will throw me a weird curve ball where something happens that's not possible IRL and I'll become aware that I'm dreaming. When that happens I have three choices, let the dream play out and see what happens, control the dream, or wake up.
LUCID DREAMING! I LOVE LUCID DREAMING! whenever it happens to me I always take control and I fly. Sometimes I have dreams about fighting and if I lucid dream in the middle of a fight dream I go full super saiyan and KICK ASS!!! And then fly. I never pass up the chance to fly in a lucid dream.

via Imgflip Meme Generator
Admin
Admin
View user profile

on Thu 24 May - 23:35
My dreams vary too. Sometimes first, sometimes third. My third person dreams don't always have me in them, and my first person dreams sometimes jump from body to body, though not usually. Perspective doesn't always stay consistent either.
A lot of my memories are third-person.

Lucid dreams are neat ^_^ it's been some time since I've had one. They are good for flying. Sometimes they're good for exploring too, like wandering around your internal mindscape. Like a scavenger hunt for psychological symbols which may tell me things when I wake up.

Unowen, your recurring dream about a creepy dilapidated house may mean (during those times) you feel your life's in disarray & lacking hope. Being in public without your pants is a stress dream too, but more specifically I think it may mean you're afraid people won't accept you for who you are if they knew you intimately. Would you say these interpretations feel accurate for you?
View user profile

on Fri 25 May - 2:01
sleepingrain wrote:Unowen, your recurring dream about a creepy dilapidated house may mean (during those times) you feel your life's in disarray & lacking hope. Being in public without your pants is a stress dream too, but more specifically I think it may mean you're afraid people won't accept you for who you are if they knew you intimately. Would you say these interpretations feel accurate for you?

Could well be so, Sleepy. There are certainly areas in my life that are in disarray and that I feel are hopeless. And I know full well that there are things in my life that most people wouldn’t accept, hanging out here among them. But I don’t want to spend too much time crying in my beer. My life isn’t awful, just less than ideal.

Best,
UN

View user profile

on Fri 25 May - 20:15
I have lucid dreams occasionally too. One time I became lucid in the middle of a nightmare, which was even more terrifying because it was so real. There was a dark, dark presence there. I couldn't see it but I could feel it. I chose to wake myself up that time because I had this overwhelming sensation that if something happened to me in that dream, something was going to happen in real life. I also didn't want to see whatever that was in the dream with me. I couldn't change the setting either.

I can only imagine the fear that overwhelms those poor souls who suffer from sleep paralysis, it's said those episodes are like a living hell.

Lucid dreams are normally fun though. There are YouTube videos with audio that you can listen to while you sleep to induce lucid dreaming supposedly. I haven't tried them yet though.
View user profile

on Fri 25 May - 21:52
SightUnseen wrote:I have lucid dreams occasionally too. One time I became lucid in the middle of a nightmare, which was even more terrifying because it was so real. There was a dark, dark presence there. I couldn't see it but I could feel it. I chose to wake myself up that time because I had this overwhelming sensation that if something happened to me in that dream, something was going to happen in real life. I also didn't want to see whatever that was in the dream with me. I couldn't change the setting either.

I can only imagine the fear that overwhelms those poor souls who suffer from sleep paralysis, it's said those episodes are like a living hell.

Lucid dreams are normally fun though. There are YouTube videos with audio that you can listen to while you sleep to induce lucid dreaming supposedly. I haven't tried them yet though.
I have lucid dreamed during nightmares before. I like it because I can take control of the nightmare and end it. I remember two very specific ones.

In the first I was being chased down a shallow creek by a number of people trying to kill me. It was very real feeling. At some point I realized this was a dream and it it was my dream in my mind i had control of it. I willed a shot gun to appear in my hand and I fought off my attackers

In another dream I was driving across the Oakland bay bridge in the San Francisco bay area. It was a common commute for me in those years. In the dream an earthquake struck and the deck collapsed off the bridge. I was able to get out of my car and grab on to a support cable as the road collapsed beneath me into the bay. As I was clinging to the cable for dear life I realized I was in a dream and that I had ultimate control of the dream. I let go and gently floated down to the surface of the bay and walked across the bay.

Nightmares have always been a fairly common feature of my dreams. I've had a few reoccurring themes in my nightmares

When I was younger I used to have reoccurring nightmares about bridges. One a windy day caused the deck of a bridge I was on to swing and then flip sending me plummeting into the bay below. You can survive hitting the ground in a dram because in that dream I fell thousands of feet to the bay and when I landed I didn't land in water I landed in mud. In another dream I was crossing a bridge on foot but i was walking along the road I was walking up the main support cables that hold the support cables that suspend the deck. I scaled those to the top of the pylons and back down across the bridge. It was pretty scary. I used to have a lot of bridge nightmares but not so much anymore

Another reoccurring theme of my nightmares is alien invasion. This theme is interesting because this is actually a serial. Each dream takes place in the same continuity of an alien invasion and progresses further and further into the scenario in chronological order. It began with the initial invasion. My best friend and I were watching the orbital bombardment rain down upon the city nearest me and we realizes we needed to move. As we drove away we could see the striders begun to assault the city behind us. We stopped in a bombed out home to rest and I went to what remained of the shower stall and cried as I realized the lives we knew were over and I may never see my family who lived far away again. The next dream in the series a number of refugees were living in the hills of california trying to hide from the aliens. Some of us were sent down to raid a local walmart for supplies. As we did so the aliens started to come so we needed t make our escape fast. A man in our group stumbled and was about to be overtaken by the aliens. His wife tried to go back for him but I stopped her and told her her husband was already dead. The series progressed into the survivors mounting an armed resistance and at this point in the series we are now embroiled in a full scale guerrilla war against our alien occupiers.  Some of them are perfectly life like some of them have a more video game like quality to them but in all of them the stakes within the dreamscape are life and death and the terror is real. Characters in the dream remain dead in subsequent dreams and their loss is sometimes referenced within later dreams. These are the most complicated series of dreams I've ever had. When I saw the show falling skies it gave me goosebumps because it seemed as if someone had seen my nightmares and made a tv show about it.

wikipedia wrote:The central symptom of sleep paralysis is being unable to move during awakening.

Imagined sounds such as humming, hissing, static, zapping and buzzing noises are reported during sleep paralysis. Other sounds such as voices, whispers and roars are also experienced. These symptoms are usually accompanied by intense emotions such as fear and panic. People also have sensations of being dragged out of bed or of flying, numbness, and feelings of electric tingles or vibrations running through their body.
Sleep paralysis may include hypnogogic hallucinations, such as a supernatural creature suffocating or terrifying the individual, accompanied by a feeling of pressure on one's chest and difficulty breathing. Another example of a hallucination involves a menacing shadowy figure entering one's room or lurking outside one's window, while the subject is paralyzed. The content and interpretation of these hallucinations are driven by fear, somatic sensations, REM-induced sexual arousal, and REM mentation which are embedded in the sleeper's cultural narrative.

REM sleep physiology and somatic symptoms coupled with the awareness that one is paralyzed can generate a variety of psychological symptoms during sleep paralysis, including fear and worry that are aggravated by catastrophic cognitions about the attack. This can activate a fight-flight reaction and panic-like arousal. Consequently, when the person attempts to escape the paralysis, somatic symptoms and arousal are exacerbated, as an execution of motor programs in the absence of dampening proprioceptive feedback can lead to heightened sensations of bodily tightness and pressure, and even pain and spasms in limbs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

I've experienced sleep paralysis. It is one of the scariest things I have experienced. I've had the hallucination on some occasions and on other occasions I didn't see anything. On every occasion though I felt the pressure on my chest and even when I couldn't see the demon I could "feel" its presence. When I was younger I used to believe these were actually demonic attacks but I understand the science behind sleep paralysis now.

I've had lucid dream experiences that weren't in the midst of nightmares as well. One of the strangest dream experiences I've ever had was when a friend and I had the same dream, met within the dream had a conversation that we were both then able to recall in the waking world. I can't explain it. Even stranger this friend of mine wasn't particularly close to me. We didn't have a real deep connection. That happened to me twice in my life. I often wonder if Astral Projection is real and perhaps we weren't dreaming at all but astrally projecting.

I tend to dream in 1st person but I have had 3rd person dreams as well.
Admin
Admin
View user profilehttps://consanguinamory.wordpress.com

on Sun 27 May - 0:09
I've had a mild version of sleep paralysis, my brain is awake and my body is alseep. So I am fully aware, but I can't even open my eyes or breathe deeper than I am in my sleep state, let alone move. I'd have been terrified if I didn't already know what it was, and I only knew that because it happens to my dad sometimes. I don't get it very often, actually it's been over six years since last time it happened, but I calm myself down and use my mind to wake my body up, after a minute or so I can move normally again. It's a malfunction in the brain where your mind is conscious but your body is still in an automated sleep mode, so the signals that normally go from your brain to your muscles are switched off. (the opposite of this is sleepwalking, where your body is awake and your mind is dreaming, sleepwalkers have been known to do any number of things... like a neighbor who mowed the lawn completely naked at 2am while he slept and was completely unaware of it until the following morning, by which time the whole street knew).
View user profile

on Sun 27 May - 3:47
On the subject of a sleepwalking pilot in Life on the Mississippi:
Mark Twain wrote:X. said nothing, but went serenely on with his work. He rang for the leads; he rang to slow down the steam; he worked the boat carefully and neatly into invisible marks, then stood at the center of the wheel and peered blandly out into the blackness, fore and aft, to verify his position; as the leads shoaled more and more, he stopped the engines entirely, and the dead silence and suspense of 'drifting' followed when the shoalest water was struck, he cracked on the steam, carried her handsomely over, and then began to work her warily into the next system of shoal marks; the same patient, heedful use of leads and engines followed, the boat slipped through without touching bottom, and entered upon the third and last intricacy of the crossing; imperceptibly she moved through the gloom, crept by inches into her marks, drifted tediously till the shoalest water was cried, and then, under a tremendous head of steam, went swinging over the reef and away into deep water and safety!

[...]

And if he can do such gold-leaf, kid-glove, diamond-breastpin piloting when he is sound asleep, what couldn't he do if he was dead!'

Best,
UN

View user profile

on Sun 27 May - 23:19
oh god sleep paralysis can be horrible.  the first time either of us had an episode  I thought I was dead and my brother started panicking when I did get up, given we were like 10 or so so neither of us knew what was happening.
View user profile

on Mon 18 Jun - 1:40
Mr Reese wrote:
SightUnseen wrote:I have lucid dreams occasionally too. One time I became lucid in the middle of a nightmare, which was even more terrifying because it was so real. There was a dark, dark presence there. I couldn't see it but I could feel it. I chose to wake myself up that time because I had this overwhelming sensation that if something happened to me in that dream, something was going to happen in real life. I also didn't want to see whatever that was in the dream with me. I couldn't change the setting either.

I have lucid dreamed during nightmares before. I like it because I can take control of the nightmare and end it. I remember two very specific ones.

In the first I was being chased down a shallow creek by a number of people trying to kill me. It was very real feeling. At some point I realized this was a dream and it it was my dream in my mind i had control of it. I willed a shot gun to appear in my hand and I fought off my attackers

In another dream I was driving across the Oakland bay bridge in the San Francisco bay area. It was a common commute for me in those years. In the dream an earthquake struck and the deck collapsed off the bridge. I was able to get out of my car and grab on to a support cable as the road collapsed beneath me into the bay. As I was clinging to the cable for dear life I realized I was in a dream and that I had ultimate control of the dream. I let go and gently floated down to the surface of the bay and walked across the bay.

Nightmares have always been a fairly common feature of my dreams. I've had a few reoccurring themes in my nightmares

When I was younger I used to have reoccurring nightmares about bridges. One a windy day caused the deck of a bridge I was on to swing and then flip sending me plummeting into the bay below. You can survive hitting the ground in a dram because in that dream I fell thousands of feet to the bay and when I landed I didn't land in water I landed in mud. In another dream I was crossing a bridge on foot but i was walking along the road I was walking up the main support cables that hold the support cables that suspend the deck. I scaled those to the top of the pylons and back down across the bridge. It was pretty scary. I used to have a lot of bridge nightmares but not so much anymore

Another reoccurring theme of my nightmares is alien invasion. This theme is interesting because this is actually a serial. Each dream takes place in the same continuity of an alien invasion and progresses further and further into the scenario in chronological order. It began with the initial invasion. My best friend and I were watching the orbital bombardment rain down upon the city nearest me and we realizes we needed to move. As we drove away we could see the striders begun to assault the city behind us. We stopped in a bombed out home to rest and I went to what remained of the shower stall and cried as I realized the lives we knew were over and I may never see my family who lived far away again. The next dream in the series a number of refugees were living in the hills of california trying to hide from the aliens. Some of us were sent down to raid a local walmart for supplies. As we did so the aliens started to come so we needed t make our escape fast. A man in our group stumbled and was about to be overtaken by the aliens. His wife tried to go back for him but I stopped her and told her her husband was already dead. The series progressed into the survivors mounting an armed resistance and at this point in the series we are now embroiled in a full scale guerrilla war against our alien occupiers.  Some of them are perfectly life like some of them have a more video game like quality to them but in all of them the stakes within the dreamscape are life and death and the terror is real. Characters in the dream remain dead in subsequent dreams and their loss is sometimes referenced within later dreams. These are the most complicated series of dreams I've ever had. When I saw the show falling skies it gave me goosebumps because it seemed as if someone had seen my nightmares and made a tv show about it.

wikipedia wrote:The central symptom of sleep paralysis is being unable to move during awakening.

Imagined sounds such as humming, hissing, static, zapping and buzzing noises are reported during sleep paralysis. Other sounds such as voices, whispers and roars are also experienced. These symptoms are usually accompanied by intense emotions such as fear and panic. People also have sensations of being dragged out of bed or of flying, numbness, and feelings of electric tingles or vibrations running through their body.
Sleep paralysis may include hypnogogic hallucinations, such as a supernatural creature suffocating or terrifying the individual, accompanied by a feeling of pressure on one's chest and difficulty breathing. Another example of a hallucination involves a menacing shadowy figure entering one's room or lurking outside one's window, while the subject is paralyzed. The content and interpretation of these hallucinations are driven by fear, somatic sensations, REM-induced sexual arousal, and REM mentation which are embedded in the sleeper's cultural narrative.

REM sleep physiology and somatic symptoms coupled with the awareness that one is paralyzed can generate a variety of psychological symptoms during sleep paralysis, including fear and worry that are aggravated by catastrophic cognitions about the attack. This can activate a fight-flight reaction and panic-like arousal. Consequently, when the person attempts to escape the paralysis, somatic symptoms and arousal are exacerbated, as an execution of motor programs in the absence of dampening proprioceptive feedback can lead to heightened sensations of bodily tightness and pressure, and even pain and spasms in limbs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

I've experienced sleep paralysis. It is one of the scariest things I have experienced. I've had the hallucination on some occasions and on other occasions I didn't see anything. On every occasion though I felt the pressure on my chest and even when I couldn't see the demon I could "feel" its presence. When I was younger I used to believe these were actually demonic attacks but I understand the science behind sleep paralysis now.

I've had lucid dream experiences that weren't in the midst of nightmares as well. One of the strangest dream experiences I've ever had was when a friend and I had the same dream, met within the dream had a conversation that we were both then able to recall in the waking world. I can't explain it. Even stranger this friend of mine wasn't particularly close to me. We didn't have a real deep connection. That happened to me twice in my life. I often wonder if Astral Projection is real and perhaps we weren't dreaming at all but astrally projecting.

I tend to dream in 1st person but I have had 3rd person dreams as well.

i got goosebumps reading this...

i dont remember the last time i had a dream that was not lucid, and it is almost always started when i wake up with sleep paralysis. im pretty sure its just something that got tweaked wrong in my brain after i suffered from my NDE in 2009. i ended up with a bit of brain damage and have had very unusual sleep patterns ever since. i have had sleep studies done and doctors have no idea what to call it. its a mixture of exploding head syndrome, sleep paralysis, severe insomnia, and what they basically describe as short REM cycles, with often no REM phase at all.

so, basically, i wake up with a really loud rushing or booming noise when i start to doze off. i usually experience this five or six times as i drift off again and again. at some point, i drift off past the noise and wake up but cant move my body. that is the sleep paralysis, which i have learned to not be afraid of. when i get to that point, i know i am about to start really dreaming. i then focus on going back to sleep and the dream i slip into is lucid. it usually seems to go on forever and ever, often following a chronological order because i go back to earlier dreams. i know the characters in those dreams, some of which i have come to love very much. eventually, i at some point know its time to "go to sleep". when i go to sleep in the dream, i lose consciousness, which is where we think i go into REM sleep. REM sleep lasts about 30 seconds to about 4 minutes, and then i usually wake up with pain behind my left eye(gotta love cluster headaches). at that point i am groggy, but awake, and i can remember the lucid part of the dream. i then take a few deep breaths to hyperventilate, the pain behind my eye starts to go away, and i start the whole cycle over again.

each one of those cycles lasts about 10 to 15 minutes, and i have them all night long. if i dont wake up fast enough from the pain behind my eye, i end up waking up with a full blown cluster headache and i will be awake banging my head against the floor for the next couple hours. during each one of my sleep cycles, the lucid dreams seem to last hours. a lot of times, it feels like i spend more time in the lucid dreams than i do awake. i have been sleeping this way since early 2009, and i learned early on how to manipulate my dreams so that i go back to the same place. i always go back to chat with one of the characters, Kalis. there is always something going on in that place, and Kalis constantly cracks jokes about how i only spend time in the real world so that i can go back and tell people about it in the fake one...

sometimes i start wondering if i should start writing down what happens in those dreams? by this point, there is so much that i have forgotten about already... i could fill volumes with those dreams.

i have never heard of anyone else having long chronological dream "stories" before...
Sponsored content