Go down
Admin
Admin
View user profilehttps://consanguinamory.wordpress.com

I want one!

on Tue 31 Jul - 23:36

And best of it is, I don't think my elderly and docile cat would pay much attention, he even ignores moths these days unless they fly right by his paws.
View user profile

Re: I want one!

on Tue 31 Jul - 23:41
Come to my house, Jane. I’ll give you all the creepy-crawlies you want, free of charge. They are part of the house’s biological defense perimeter. Smile

Best,
UN

Last edited by Unowen17 on Wed 1 Aug - 0:05; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Egad...)

Admin

on Wed 1 Aug - 0:00
Unowen17 wrote:Come to my house, Jane. I’ll give you all the creepy-crawlies you want, free of charge. They are part of the house’s biological defense perimeter. Smile

LOL, I love all bugs, but the reason I love these particular spiders the the colours, and also (like all avicularia type tarantulas) they jump. They're also so docile that you can cohabit them (with most spiders, you can't because you risk them cannibalizing) providing you provide a large enough enclosure and plenty of prey. Also, if you have a breeding pair, the female will not usually eat the male after intercourse, but other types of tarantula will be needed to separated as soon as mating concludes to prevent this from happening. They're the type of spider you can handle easily, I held another more common variety of avicularia tarantula once, but I'm glad somebody warned me to face it towards myself, because it jumped and would have hurt itself if it had landed on the floor rather than my t-shirt! Tarantulas can be quite fragile and should be handled with more care than regular house or garden spiders. A lot of people may think that bigger means more robust, but in the case of spiders the opposite seems to be true.
View user profile

on Wed 1 Aug - 0:08
Larry Niven wrote a sci-fi story about a race of intelligent giant spiders called the Gray Mourners. They had, with some difficulty, learned to have a non-lethal sex life. The male shoved a whole raw turkey in the female’s mouth immediately after the deed. Smile

Best,
UN

Admin

on Wed 1 Aug - 0:20
I don't think our spiders are going to gain intelligence for several million years, If any species are next in line for sentience it will be cats, dogs, pigs, the great apes, and possibly horses. Probably chimpazees would be first in line (chimps are already in their stone age, they have gained the ability to use items around them as basic tools, skip fowards a few million years and they may be joining us as fully self aware beings assuming we ensure the survival of the species),and gorillas or urang-utans would likely follow. Spiders are a long way off. They may make cool pets and they're certainly beautiful creatures, but their reactions to situations are pre-programmed into their instinct, they do not have any problem solving abilities like mammals do. Compare the intelligence of your cat or dog to a spider and it's not hard to see the difference. Show me a spider that can solve a problem requiring thought rather than instinct and I will change my opinion.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum