Go down
J.S. Money
View user profile

Bad wording in The Atlantic, of all publications Empty Bad wording in The Atlantic, of all publications

on Tue 13 Nov - 13:43
I was compelled to delay going to work this morning to write the editor about this one:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/12/the-sex-recession/573949/

"With the exception of perhaps incest and bestiality—and of course nonconsensual sex more generally—our culture has never been more tolerant of sex in just about every permutation."

Implies that incest is non-consensual, right? Or do you think I am misinterpreting?

I regard the Atlantic as a top-quality publication, so this was especially disheartening to see.
Jane Doe
Admin
Admin
View user profilehttps://consanguinamory.wordpress.com

Bad wording in The Atlantic, of all publications Empty Re: Bad wording in The Atlantic, of all publications

on Tue 13 Nov - 22:27
J.S. Money, Yes, I'd interpret it that way too, sadly. By the way, how did you contact her? Have you her e-mail address? I cannot find it on the website. I think I should contact her myself. While the majority of her article was informative and interesting as pertaining to the generational differences there appears to be within how regulars approach dating (and it does seem to be painfully complicated especially for the younger generation, I had no idea it had changed so much since I was that age, and I'm only in my mid 30s!), I was disappointed with the dismissal of incest as necessarily non-consensual. I think she may benefit from hearing from us, to set the record straight, and if she can do it totally anonymous I'd even allow her to interview me. It isn't the first time I've made such an offer to a journalist, but few have taken me up on that offer. I think it is important, where we can, to offer the information. She has probably just made the same assumption as most other people do simply because she knows no better. She has probably never had contact with anyone who has been in a satisfying long term consang relationship, therefore she has never had reason to question the assumptions. Even if you don't have her contact details, I would be willing to write to them anyway, they can only say yes or no to my proposal... and there is an old saying 'if you don't ask, you don't get', it's especially true when it comes to things like being interviewed in this context. If she says yes, it's win-win, we get good publicity and she gets a great story.
View user profile

Bad wording in The Atlantic, of all publications Empty Re: Bad wording in The Atlantic, of all publications

on Tue 13 Nov - 22:31
If someone is specifically referring to consensual adult incest, then they actually take the time to spell that out.

The word incest, by itself, is used as shorthand for the sexual abuse of children by adult relatives.

Jane Doe
Admin
Admin

on Tue 13 Nov - 22:39
OtherHans wrote:If someone is specifically referring to consensual adult incest, then they actually take the time to spell that out.  

The word incest, by itself, is used as shorthand for the sexual abuse of children by adult relatives.

Sometimes they do, they tend to specify that it's adults being spoken of when they're talking about GSA (most journalists won't touch consensual adult non-GSA with a bargepole), but when media people talk about incest in general they tend to lump it in with bestiality and child molestation. It always annoys the hell out of me, it's as if we're the invisible minority. I guess 99.9% of the time we are just that, invisible. It's a good part of the reason we use the word consanguinamory now, to separate ourselves from abusers so that there can't be any confusion. Unfortunately the word isn't so well known outside our circle yet, so people still use the word 'incest' that has a much broader range of possible meanings.
J.S. Money
View user profile

on Wed 14 Nov - 0:29
OtherHans wrote:If someone is specifically referring to consensual adult incest, then they actually take the time to spell that out.  

I did say if they meant sex between an adult and a minor that incest is not the right word to mean that.

Jane: I didn't contact the author. I just used the generic email address for the editor.
Special Member
Special Member
View user profile

on Wed 14 Nov - 4:41
I skipped most of the article. But I noticed it doesn't include the words AIDS, feminism commercialization or commodification.

The HIV rate had been about 50,000 in 2011
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/04/health/04hiv.html

According to the latest estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), an estimated 38,500 people became newly infected with HIV in the United States in 2015. Encouragingly, the estimated number of annual HIV infections in the U.S. declined 8% between 2010-2015 (from 41,800 to 38,500).Jul 11, 2018

In 2015, there were an estimated 38,500 new HIV infections—down from 41,800 in 2010.a

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/statistics.html
Kate Julian says in her article that HIV cases are at an 'all time low.'
"2017 global HIV statistics

HIV continues to be a major global public health issue. In 2017 an estimated 36.9 million people were living with HIV (including 1.8 million children) – with a global HIV prevalence of 0.8% among adults. Around 25% of these same people do not know that they have the virus.1

Since the start of the epidemic, an estimated 77.3 million people have become infected with HIV and 35.4 million people have died of AIDS-related illnesses. In 2017, 940,000 people died of AIDS-related illnesses. This number has reduced by more than 51% (1.9 million) since the peak in 2004 and 1.4 million in 2010.2"
https://www.avert.org/global-hiv-and-aids-statistics

The HIV rate today is still miles higher compared to to what it was in the 1960s, when it pretty close to 0%.
Kate's view on the HIV global epidemic seems as twisted and inaccurate as her view on adult consensual incest.

Jane Doe
Admin
Admin

on Wed 14 Nov - 21:57
J.S. Money wrote:

I did say if they meant sex between an adult and a minor that incest is not the right word to mean that.

Jane: I didn't contact the author. I just used the generic email address for the editor.

I think I'll leave it then, the contact page I saw wants people to provide real names, postal addresses...etc. For obvious reasons I'm not going there. Oh well.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum