View previous topicGo downView next topic
Admin
View user profile

Sis and I are arming up

on Mon 13 Jun - 22:39
After the news broke about the nightclub shooting in Orlando, sis and I have decided to start getting better armed.

I already have my pistols, sis has her pistol and rifle. We're both going to dedicate a little more of our next couple of paychecks on more guns and ammo.

For those who don't know, the shooter apparently targeted gay people.
View user profile

Re: Sis and I are arming up

on Mon 13 Jun - 23:04
Shiro wrote:After the news broke about the nightclub shooting in Orlando, sis and I have decided to start getting better armed.

I already have my pistols, sis has her pistol and rifle. We're both going to dedicate a little more of our next couple of paychecks on more guns and ammo.

For those who don't know, the shooter apparently targeted gay people.

Sorry, but I don't understand the logic here. Just what situation are you preparing for? A siege by a group of homophobic terrorists in a lonely place? It is the only scenario where you could use more than one gun each, and that is extremely unlikely. No remotely sane burglar or robber sticks around after he realizes that he's in danger of being shot - he runs away to find an easier victim. If you are attacked on the street, having a pile of guns at home does not help.

No offense meant, but your paychecks would be better spent on chocolate - or a vacation in a place where gun deaths are rarer than in American cities.
Admin
View user profilehttps://consanguinamory.wordpress.com

on Tue 14 Jun - 0:39
I'd heard there had been a shooting, but I had no idea it was a homophobic attack, I thought it was yet more Islamist extremists as they're the usual suspects in mass shootings and terrorism. It's a shame that people, even today, feel the need to arm themselves in case of homophobic attack. This level of homophobia though is extremely rare, most homophobes limit themselves to ranting and raving like a loon to anyone who is stupid enough to actually listen.

Shiro, I understand why you're doing that, but please, don't live your life in fear because of one act of terrorism, otherwise, the terrorist wins.
Admin
View user profile

on Tue 14 Jun - 2:32
I had heard about the shooting but also wasn't aware that it had those motives... thanks for that, it's definitely good to know. It doesn't seem like it will start a viral pattern, but you never know.

Nemo, you're definitely right about how having arms at home isn't going to help if you're out on the street, but training to use a firearm effectively (even if it's just a concealed carry) does require some money put aside (ammunition, replacing worn parts, and range fees). Without training, they're at best not very useful and at worst more of a hindrance than help.
As for more guns... I don't know which ones you and her already have Shiro, so it does depend on if you feel there is an area you haven't covered. They do get really expensive.
Admin
View user profile

on Tue 14 Jun - 3:17
I always carry one of my pistols on me, one mag in the gun and two on my belt. Sis has her concealed carry permit, and usually keeps hers in her pocket, slide clip (tucked in her pants) or shoulder holster (when she's wearing a coat).

Just to be clear, we're not scared, we're just making sure we're ready. I mean, if sometime decided to attack me, would they be more or less likely to if they can see that I'm armed and able to shoot back?
View user profile

on Mon 11 Jul - 19:57
From the way things are going in politics, I'll likely join you in arming myself. One hand gun, one shotgun, and one rifle is what I'm going for. More than that is excessive unless you're a collector.
View user profile

on Sat 23 Jul - 14:48
Here are my thoughts - and it's not an attack on anything anyone here has said:

Between the two of us, my sister and I have a couple of guns, primary for recreational shooting. We don't conceal (or open) carry, and we have no intention to do so, so they won't help us in spontaneous situations, but we've both gone through both self-defense training and "critical situation" training.  Maybe to some people, it means I'm choosing to be a victim, but I refuse to live my life armed to the hilt against the 1% chance I might get brutally attacked. I've been attacked, yes, and defended myself. I'm not going to shoot someone for punching me.  In those situations, a gun would've just made things worse.  To me, it's a matter of proportionality.

Clearly, I'm not opposed to responsible gun ownership, since I/we have a couple.  I don't see the point in individuals buying a lot of guns, however, unless they're collectors.  If one gun doesn't make me feel safer (it does, but just a bit), a dozen sure won't. I understanding having something other than a handgun, for versatility, but still I see no logic in amassing an arsenal.  If I need a cabinet full of guns and many hundreds of rounds of ammo, I'm simply living in the wrong place.  Time for me to move, whether to another town, state, or country.  Who needs to feel like they have to be prepared every moment for an attack? Not me.
View user profile

on Sun 24 Jul - 16:09
I would like to add that having a handgun can save you from conflict before it even starts. Oftentimes, just showing that you have a gun is enough to deter thugs and criminals. You don't even need to remove it from its holster. Most people don't want to get shot, so the kind of people who would be a threat will move on to easier prey.
Admin
View user profilehttps://consanguinamory.wordpress.com

on Sun 24 Jul - 21:32
Here in the UK guns are illegal for most of the population. Farmers may have a licence for them to shoot vermin, and obviously trained police officers may carry guns (though cops are not usually armed with guns unless they believe they are going into a dangerous situation). The general population would only get to handle a gun at a special shooting range, and even then it's normally a pellet gun to shoot at a target.

The closest I've come to holding a gun is a paint-ball rifle, they're legal only in special paint-ball ranges. You must wear goggles to protect your eyes and the paint-balls cannot injure you except leave a few bruises (as anyone who has partaken in this sport will know). I Only went once with work colleagues, and it was a lot of fun because we were playing against others who were from their workplace.

One thing I will say is that I seriously hope that real guns aim better than paint-ball rifles, I often aimed at one target and hit another. It was the first and only weapon I've ever fired... and either I have terrible aim or guns are unreliable in where the bullet actually ends up. I would simply never want to be in charge of a deadly weapon. In paint-ball, if you hit the wrong person (or even the right person) you'll leave a bruise that will heal within a few days, with a real weapon you could kill somebody.

If anyone was to try and hurt me seriously, I am pretty strong and pretty quick once the adrenaline is going so I'm sure I could fight off most people (with the exception maybe of particularly strong men) in a crunch if it came to it. With luck that will never be necessary, but I guess you never know because there are crazies in the world.
Admin
View user profile

I am glad you are

on Fri 29 Jul - 18:21
I have carry conceal for 38 years. I shoot competition pistol every Thursday night. I live in Port St John Florida and have several occasions where you feel so much better knowing you have a way out of a bad event.
Keep training ladys! The only time you don't have your gun will be the time you need it.
As for our UK members I am sorry your rights are being taken away. That is the reason the Muslims are hurting so many people because it's impossible to defend 10 men to one femsle.
Give respect and get respect.

If you both are in Florida please call me and we can shoot, check out a rocket launch or hang at PlayLinda

Wiccan
Your friendly
Witch
View user profile

on Mon 12 Dec - 23:23
I think it's interesting that many consang people are armed. I own a few firearms myself. I am a Marine Corps infantry veteran, but of course I am way past military age. The state where I live does allow concealed carry licenses, and I used to have one, but I allowed it to expire and didn't renew it. I found that although I was licensed to carry, I rarely did so. My sister is an avid camper and enjoys hunting. Our families have always subscribed to the "You eat what you shoot" philosophy. She has successfully hunted deer in years past, but where we live deer hunting is a fairly expensive proposition. She has a beautiful, beaded, white buckskin dress that she made from deer hides that she processed and brain-tanned herself. (Truth be told, tanning hides is a nasty business.) She hunts deer with bow and arrow and with a .45 caliber muzzleloading rifle.
Admin
View user profile

on Tue 13 Dec - 0:38
Marine infantry? My sis was a yeomanette in the Navy.
View user profile

on Sat 8 Apr - 3:44
I think it's mostly just the consang Americans. Americans generally are very well armed.
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum