Go down
Unowen17
View user profile

Anyone here do a DNA test? Empty Anyone here do a DNA test?

on Mon 11 Feb - 3:05
Hi, all,

Has anyone here done a DNA test with 23andme.com, ancestry.com, etc? What were your experiences?

Note that this is a public group, so don’t say anything that you wouldn’t want the world to know. We can take any such discussion private if needed.

Best,
UN

View user profile

Anyone here do a DNA test? Empty Re: Anyone here do a DNA test?

on Tue 12 Feb - 0:32
I've done testing at 23andme, AncestryDNA and FamilyTreeDNA. Where you should test is determined by your goal. PM me and I can give you my thoughts!

Minnie
Unowen17
View user profile

on Tue 12 Feb - 1:50
Done, Minnie! Thanks!

Best,
UN

View user profile

on Wed 3 Apr - 6:01
I've done Ancestry and 23 and Me. And I'm enjoying a new podcast called Cut Off Genes Podcast. It's focused on adoptees looking for biological family. There are some great stories on there of finding family through DNA matching and re-union stories. I just listened to a fascinating one, episode #33, about a sperm donor finding children. Definitely felt a GSA vibe on the first daughter finding him.

The genetic genealogist that does the show says that Ancestry has the largest pool, because it's most popular. So very helpful if looking for long lost family, DNA matches. And seems their family trees are easy to work with. But I did think that 23 and Me seemed more detailed on my heritage.

But I'm just a beginner, but I'm beginning to get a bit obsessed.
Unowen17
View user profile

on Wed 3 Apr - 10:50
I did the tests. The only close-ish relatives I found were a couple of cousins I already knew about.

But I did do some tracing up the family tree on Ancestry and found some interesting stuff on my mom’s side of the family. It was nice to share it with her while she was convalescing.

Best,
UN

View user profile

on Thu 4 Apr - 4:18
Please consider the privacy risk when you send off for one of these DNA tests. Does the testing company promise confidentiality? Or are you agreeing to let them have and keep your genetic information, and do with it whatever they choose, including selling it on to third parties? If they don't explicitly promise the former, you can bet they'll do the latter.
MinnieC
View user profile

on Thu 4 Apr - 11:07
Willendorfer wrote:Please consider the privacy risk when you send off for one of these DNA tests. Does the testing company promise confidentiality? Or are you agreeing to let them have and keep your genetic information, and do with it whatever they choose, including selling it on to third parties? If they don't explicitly promise the former, you can bet they'll do the latter.

For those with any concerns about privacy and DNA testing:

https://www.familytreemagazine.com/premium/do-dna-tests-put-your-personal-information-at-risk/

I've tested with all the companies and have found it very helpful in connecting with others for genealogical purposes.  The greatest risk of testing, in my opinion, is discovering unknown relatives that can upset family members, or finding out that Dad isn't who one thought he was.  DNA testing is making it nearly impossible to keep family secrets......

Last edited by MinnieC on Thu 4 Apr - 11:08; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
FullMarriageEquality
Admin
Admin
View user profilehttp://marriage-equality.blogspot.com

on Thu 4 Apr - 12:46
Yup. A lot of people are finding out dad or mom had a kid when young who was raised by someone else or they find out the man who raised them (make no mistake, a man who raises you and does so with love ***IS*** dad) isn’t their genetic father. Surprise!

It’s causing a lot of reunion GSA situations.

View user profile

on Thu 4 Apr - 14:52
The main privacy concern for most people is related to health matters, therefore employment and the like. I guess each individual has to just balance the risk of not knowing about a potential health issue with the risk that their results are going to get out and be used against them.

Obviously, if you've committed an unsolved murder, don't take the tests. Smile

Best,
UN

View user profile

on Thu 4 Apr - 21:01
this thread did not mean what i though it did :X
Unowen17
View user profile

on Thu 4 Apr - 22:59
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
ava20 wrote:this thread did not mean what i though it did :X

Oh, like a paternity test? Smile

Best,
UN

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum