Go down
Jane Doe
Admin
Admin
View user profilehttps://consanguinamory.wordpress.com

Winter or Summer? Empty Winter or Summer?

on Thu 18 Apr - 22:07
Okay, which do you prefer, winter or summer, and why?

I'll go first: Much prefer winter
1. I can walk about without being drenched in sweat head to toe
2. I feel more energetic and get more done
3. Morning frost looks beautiful in the sunlight
4. Enjoying sunshine without it being a raging inferno, I've been known to have a suntan from February sun, all without getting too hot or too cold. If it's above 5C on a sunny day with only a light breeze, it's nice enough to go out in a t-shirt. Some people think I dislike the sun, but I don't, I just dislike sticky heat that I can scarcely escape. The gentle warmth of early spring/late winter is quite pleasant.
5. Who doesn't like Christmas? Well, maybe I don't like the complete mayhem in the shops a few days before Christmas day, but I am usually done with my shopping well before then, normally by the end of November! Plus, the look on my little ones face when she opens her presents... can't beat that. Then there is the FOOD... Turkey and all the trimmings, bacon fried brussel sprouts, glazed parsnips, cranberry sauce, Christmas Pudding topped with brandy sauce, Mince Pies... I wish I could eat Christmas dinner more than once a year.
6. Snow... okay, this makes me officially a big kid, but we don't have a great deal of it here in the UK (it's normally too warm to snow with the average winter temperature being 4-7C at daytime and around freezing at night or slightly below), but I like it when it comes. Not that I participate in many snowball fights at my age, but I do enjoy making snowmen with little one (given the right type of snow, it must be the damp sticky snow not the powdery dry stuff). It's also fair to note that what snow I have seen over my lifetime has NEVER coincided with Christmas, but you'd never think that if the images from Christmas cards were to be believed! If we see snow, it is most often during January, but CAN be present any time from October to April (in extreme weather events like the 2010-2011 winter where we were effectively part of the arctic circle and were iced over for those months). Most snowfall, if it sticks at all, will be present from anything from a few hours to a week.

The downsides of winter:
1. It's (obviously) too cold to swim outside, I'm very cold tolerant, but I won't brave water below 15C (which means not after mid october or before May-June)
2. It can be hard for some wildlife, I help by feeding the birds. Actually it's nice to see them in my garden, small birds like sparrows and robins appreciate the food, as do ducks and seaguls if you don't mind a walk by a pond. Oh, and despite people saying not to, I also feed pigeons, I don't see why these animals should suffer lack of food just because of their species, they're intelligent and semi-domesticated as they tend to congregate around towns where there are a lot of people and therefore more scraps.
3. No pretty looking bugs like bumble bees, garden spiders, butterflies and ladybirds. Few things amaze me more than how these tiny creatures live, and the species I think most needs protecting and helping is bees, first they are a vital part of our ecosystem, and secondly, over 90% of bumble bees have been wiped out in recent years. If you want to help during the warmer seasons, carry a small bottle of honey and provide a drop to any dying bee you see. Bees need a steady supply of simple carbohydrates and fluids to stay healthy. Sometimes, a bee is dying just because it is starved for energy, this is easily remedied if you spot the bee in time. Don't be afraid of them, they will NOT sting you just because, they aren't like wasps and they will certainly die if they sting, and so they're reluctant to do so.
4. Plants will only grow if kept indoors

Overall, I can understand why some people like summer, but I guess it depends mostly on how your body reacts to heat and cold. Mine reacts to heat like superman does to kryptonite, it sucks the life out of me. But responds to cold very differently by demanding more food and producing more body heat in abundance. I need to eat approximately one and a half times as much food in winter, or more if I spend a lot of time outside. If i feel cold it's usually because I'm wet, ill, tired, or hungry. Noting a cup of hot tea won't cure (unless I have a cold of course). While this cold weather adaption puts me at an advantage in winter, it is a disadvantage when the raging sun is overhead all summer long. I don't think I'd last 5 minutes in a hot climate where to step outside is to step into an oven for most of the year.

There are some things about summer I like, the outdoor pools, the wildlife... but overall the winter is much preferred for it's comfort Smile

Unowen17
View user profile

Winter or Summer? Empty Re: Winter or Summer?

on Fri 19 Apr - 1:06
I definitely prefer winter to summer, though I think I like autumn the best of all four seasons. Summer just seems like it will never go away when it comes.

Best,
UN

View user profile

on Fri 19 Apr - 2:22
Neither. I have a hard time deciding between Spring and Fall, but if I have to choose between winter and summer, I'll take winter anytime. (Heat doesn't agree with me!)
CelesChere
Star Member
Star Member
View user profilehttp://ks2016.forumactif.fr/t899-my-dad-and-i

on Fri 19 Apr - 4:19
Summer. I hate the cold and snow (but we dont get it here) and I like to show off my bikini bod
Special Member
Special Member
View user profile

on Fri 19 Apr - 6:30
Summer used to be fine for me when I lived in a temperate country, and school was finished so we could go and swim and play at the beach all day. We could walk the streets in just our togs, ('budgie smugglers') and wear a beach towel for a hat, even going in bare feet. And our most serious thought was what were we going to get for Christmas?
Running almost naked along the beach and along the side of the cliffs by the farm, swimming, climbing up the cliffs and pohutukawa trees, we stayed healthy and lithe, all year round.After that I don't know what happened really. I like to plant cedrus deodara seeds after I find them dispersed from local trees and lying on the footpaths around this time of year. Growing any sort of plant is fun and it is nice to see when things start to grow. I believe 1 May is the beginning of Spring in Northern climes, so it must be Autumn here. I think I prefer Spring and Autumn, mainly for the colours.
crimsonfield
View user profile

on Sat 4 May - 18:56
Summer.

Because of my vitamin D deficit and everyone is hiding their physical attributes under layers of clothes.
SisterNatasha
View user profile

on Sat 1 Jun - 14:07
I'm torn. I love the summer holiday I go on with my family, but mostly, I'm a winter person. I find winter really beautiful and a good time for some relaxing and cosy cuddling!
Jane Doe
Admin
Admin

on Sat 1 Jun - 22:58
Summer is best spent in a cool pool of water with an ice cold pint of lager and ham salad sandwiches. When it's hot outside, it's nice to be in water a little below average body temperature, helps cool you down. Not too cold though, the water should be warmer than 15C (for most people) so it isn't a shock to get into when it'a raging hot outside. I've gotten into water which was 10C before, and it felt like winter getting into it, but my body has an extraordinary ability to produce heat (to the extent that I can actually be too warm in rooms some people find cold, I need a coldish environment to function at optimum), so if you're nesh I would not recommend it. I can handle water this cold, but most people can't. Water is denser than air, hence why the effects of it's temperature are exaggerated. Like, I can go outside wearing quite little in 5C and be comfortable after a few moments because my body will adjust it's metabolism and produce enough heat to keep me warm to my fingertips, but if I were to go into water that cold, I would be in trouble. Reason: the water molecules would sap heat from my body faster than I could generate heat, and there are more water molecules in a body of water than there are air molecules surrounding me in the atmosphere. I can compensate for a cool day, but not so much for cold water. For safety, if you're unsure whether the water is too cold or not, lower yourself into it SLOWLY and let your body adjust, if you start feeling too cold, get out and don't try to swim, if you can get fully immersed and feel fine, then go ahead. I hear stories on the news each summer where someone has gotten too hot and decided to take a dip in a lake, and sometimes they get cold and drown, because they didnt let their body adjust to the temperature before swimming. Cold water is enticing on a hot day, I understand, but seriously, safety must come first, and if possible, just put your feet into the water and cool down that way, i done this may times when out and about. It's nice to chill out and have your feet in a lake and some ducks come up to you as if you have bread (double points if you have some to feed them). It's a good way to enjoy summer even if it's the nightmare season and appreciate the wildlife. You may even see dragonflies and pond skaters as an added bonus. Some of the insect life of summer if truly beautiful, if you like bugs. Who could dislike sitting by a lavander bush and watching the bumble bees hard at work, or sitting outside after dark and watching the little bats and moths in the warm humid nights. Although I love winter the most for it's comfortable temperatures, I do love the wildlife of summer and I make the most of it. I especially love the variety of moths that come out at night. Not to mention the frogs on a warm wet evening, these small inoffensive creatures fascinate me. Who could possibly dislike bats and moths and frogs? The one thing I will say is that if you hold a moth, try not to touch the wings too much, if you get too much wing dust on you, it's not good for the moth, it needs the dust to be able to fly properly. Butterflies aren't dusty, but moths are, and without the wing dust they can't fly! If you own a cat, don't let it eat moths, the dust upsets their stomach and makes them vomit, and as little as two moths can cause this. I speak from experience as a lifelong cat owner here Smile
MizHayden
View user profile

on Sun 2 Jun - 9:36
Jane Doe wrote: For safety, if you're unsure whether the water is too cold or not, lower yourself into it SLOWLY and let your body adjust, if you start feeling too cold, get out and don't try to swim, if you can get fully immersed and feel fine, then go ahead. I hear stories on the news each summer where someone has gotten too hot and decided to take a dip in a lake, and sometimes they get cold and drown, because they didnt let their body adjust to the temperature before swimming.

I've heard of that happening but only during something like the polar bear plunge. Where you jump into a lake when it's snowing or just when it's freezing. Not saying you're wrong just, I've only ever heard of it happening when it's with extreme temperature differences.

And anyway, winter is my favorite. Snow is pretty and it's always nice to look at the mountains. Plus all the fun holidays are during winter. I don't do well in heat at all and start sweating at anything above 68°F (20°C). And honestly, if you're in weather that's above freezing and it isn't windy. People are fine. There are some places in the world that will have children nap outside in the cooler weather to help their immune system. And we all know how nice the cold side of the pillow is...

Winter means sitting by the fire, baking more often, snowball fights and all the fun holidays. Although, summer is the season for camping, hiking, fishing and going on road trips. But I still think winter wins. There's also a kind of beetle where I live that will destroy an entire forest if the winter doesn't get cold enough to kill them off. So that's a plus
CelesChere
Star Member
Star Member

on Sun 2 Jun - 10:35
CelesChere wrote:Summer. I hate the cold and snow (but we dont get it here) and I like to show off my bikini bod
just to add on to this I love the beach and if i could live on the beach I would and wear nothing but bikinis sarongs and sundresses
Mr Reese
View user profile

on Tue 4 Jun - 10:36
CelesChere wrote:
CelesChere wrote:Summer. I hate the cold and snow (but we dont get it here) and I like to show off my bikini bod
just to add on to this I love the beach and if i could live on the beach I would and wear nothing but bikinis sarongs and sundresses
Put some damn clothes on dear. 😆
Unowen17
View user profile

on Tue 4 Jun - 17:08
Mr Reese wrote:
CelesChere wrote:
Some things never change. Smile

Best,
UN

Star Member

on Tue 4 Jun - 22:40
Mr Reese wrote:
You love it
Jane Doe
Admin
Admin

on Thu 6 Jun - 23:37
MizHayden wrote:
Jane Doe wrote: For safety, if you're unsure whether the water is too cold or not, lower yourself into it SLOWLY and let your body adjust, if you start feeling too cold, get out and don't try to swim, if you can get fully immersed and feel fine, then go ahead. I hear stories on the news each summer where someone has gotten too hot and decided to take a dip in a lake, and sometimes they get cold and drown, because they didnt let their body adjust to the temperature before swimming.

I've heard of that happening but only during something like the polar bear plunge. Where you jump into a lake when it's snowing or just when it's freezing. Not saying you're wrong just, I've only ever heard of it happening when it's with extreme temperature differences.

And anyway, winter is my favorite. Snow is pretty and it's always nice to look at the mountains. Plus all the fun holidays are during winter. I don't do well in heat at all and start sweating at anything above 68°F (20°C). And honestly, if you're in weather that's above freezing and it isn't windy. People are fine. There are some places in the world that will have children nap outside in the cooler weather to help their immune system. And we all know how nice the cold side of the pillow is...

Winter means sitting by the fire, baking more often, snowball fights and all the fun holidays. Although, summer is the season for camping, hiking, fishing and going on road trips. But I still think winter wins. There's also a kind of beetle where I live that will destroy an entire forest if the winter doesn't get cold enough to kill them off. So that's a plus

Trust me, it happens... like, it can be over 30C outside during a heatwave (18-24C is about average for the height of summer), and the water is still 12C or cooler. You have to let your body adjust before even trying to swim. If you're sensitive to the cold then this is NOT for you, you're better dangling your feet in the cold water to cool down. Water does not need to be icy to be a danger. The UK where I live is a temperate climate, it gets cold enough to freeze overnight (and sometimes in the day) in winter, and can be warm and wet in summer. It's a wet climate here, and very changeable and temperamental. We aren't prone to extremes often, like, when it freezes it is rare to experience temps below -2C and summer heatwaves rarely exceed 32C, but it DOES happen sometimes. I find extreme cold snaps easier to deal with than heatwaves to be honest, but a winter heatwave is welcome because heating bills. Like, one Xmas it was 14C and everyone was in T-shirts for the day (I don't normally sweat in December, but I did in that one)! The following June we had a 13C day due to rain... only in the UK can a day in December be warmer than a day in June... in the northern hemisphere at least LOL. Water should always be treated with caution.

A beetle that destroys things? We don't have those here thank God. Our beetles are pretty inoffensive, the largest of them being a black beetle, but the commonest is ladybugs, which everyone loves. Our insect life is pretty diverse, small and pretty. The only things to really be careful of here is wasps, they can get nasty, particularly in autumn when they're ready to die. I like bumble bees, they're big fuzzy insects that pollinate a large portion of plants here. When I (too often) see a stricken bee lying on the pavement dying, I pick it up and put in on the nearest dangelion. A lot of people worry about being stung, but bees do not sting unless they feel threatened, as long as the bee crawls onto your hand of it's own accord, it will not sting, it dies if it does! Bumble bees are gentle giants of if insect world, very misunderstood by people. They're actually some of the first bugs out, seen from February right through until late November/early december, they hybernate as soon as it's too cold for dandelions to flower (usually when it drops below 7C on average).

I love the diversity of butterflies and moths in summer, I especially like the nocturnal moths in mid-summer, the big ones with dusty wings. Most of them are brown with intricate patterns, fluffy looking antennae and furry thick set bodies. I find these moths beautiful, and I cannot understand why my late aunt was terrified of them. I mean, I get why some people fear bees and wasps, but to fear a smallish insect that cannot harm you seems silly to be honest, especially when that insect is pretty to look at.

That brings me to another silly fear people have: spiders. Here in the UK, there are NO poisonous or dangerous spiders. The common house spider causes some to freak out, or the sight of a large garden spider. Yet if it were not for these inoffensive arachnids, we would be overrun by house flies! Spiders are an important part of our ecosystem, and essential to our homes. I never kick a spider outside, I let it stay. Our house spiders live in the home and hibernate for winder, they ONLY go outdoors to seek a mate, and for that they must reach the next house without being eaten by a bird. They're vulnerable in particular to blackbirds, crows and magpies when they venture outside in the late summer to seek a mate. These spiders live for about 2 years and can reach some suprising sizes. A well fed house spider can have a 4cm leg span, but they are not dangerous, you can handle them depending on the temperament of the spider. Some are chilled out and let you hold them, others just run. As spiders go, they're docile. IF you hold one, look at their abdomen, they have very pretty brown patterns. Please do not kill these beautful spiders or put them outside in winter, they're part of a healthy house. If possible, distract your cat if it takes an interest in the spider. As to garden spiders, they are fat looking thick set spiders with short legs, in some places they're called orb weavers. I like to watch them build webs, even the tiny ones seem to be born with the knowledge to spin webs according to their size. It amazes me how a TINY baby spider knows how to, from birth, spin a web to catch prey, even if it's only greenfly. I've seen a baby spider feed from a greenfly twice it's size! The adult can even catch wasps! I find spiders fascinating creatures, they're gentle, lively and at times just cute. If you pay attention, you can even recognise individual house spiders from their abdomen markings, if you handle them you can get to know them, just as you can any animal. I've always had an affinity for spiders, so most settle the moment they're in my hand. If you project love to a spider, as you naturally would a cat or dog, it will respond, same applies to any insect, it will sense your emotional state and act accordingly. Spiders and bugs have less intelligence of course, but they know how to read emotion, and they CAN read fear and danger. If you're calm and relaxed, the bug will pick up on it and relax too, if not it will run/fly away.

MizHayden
View user profile

on Fri 7 Jun - 1:09
Jane Doe wrote:That brings me to another silly fear people have: spiders. Here in the UK, there are NO poisonous or dangerous spiders.

I'm terrified of spiders lol. I am curious about them but it isn't the risk of harm they might do that scares people. It's the unpredictability of them. If you ask someone why they're scared of a tiny little thing like a spider they might go, "It's hairy." So are dogs. But there was something on a BBC podcast that explored why people feared small creatures that were harmless. And it isn't that I'm scared of spiders for their venom or poison. It's that they skitter and I can't predict where they're going. Same thing with a snake. Seeing one just quickly run freaks me out. But I am curious to look at them up close. I have noticed on some house spiders that are HUGE, like bigger than a quarter, they have some black lines on them. I am curious but it's tough to get over a fear like that. I have tried a little bit of "immersion therapy" by just letting the spider go when I see it or just ignore it. I tell myself, well it's been here long enough to get that big maybe I can just ignore it. Plus, I've never been bitten by these spiders.

The beetle is called Mountain Pine Beetle. It destroys acres of pine forest in my area. And where I live, it's hot summers and cold winters. So extremes of both seasons. So since I can handle cold a LOT better than I can handle the heat, winter wins out by miles. Summers here we have 3 days out of the year that go above 37c. And during the winter the lowest temps will be like -27 to -33c.

I do love ladybugs and roly polies. I'll let them crawl on me. Moths freak me out too for the same reason with spiders and snakes. They just fly wherever and I don't want it to touch me. I do know that moths don't like light, they try to go where they think it would be the darkest. And in their minds, it's "beyond the light" where it'll be darkest. At least from what I remember that's what it was.
Unowen17
View user profile

on Fri 7 Jun - 1:25
Most spiders and most snakes are harmless. The spiders eat the flies and gnats that make it into the house, so I leave 'em alone. The big scary-looking ones are likely wolf spiders, and aren't harmful either. We have a few garter snakes around the house, and without exception they are far more afraid of me than vice versa. On holiday in Oregon, I stepped over a small Northern Pacific Rattlesnake that was having a bask in the way of where I wanted to go. It just slithered off, as I knew it would.

On the other hand, I'm scared to death of stinging insects, especially yellowjackets. Ugh!

Disclaimer: I am male. Smile

Best,
UN

View user profile

on Fri 7 Jun - 1:43
Unowen17 wrote:Most spiders and most snakes are harmless. The spiders eat the flies and gnats that make it into the house, so I leave 'em alone. The big scary-looking ones are likely wolf spiders, and aren't harmful either.

On the other hand, I'm scared to death of stinging insects, especially yellowjackets. Ugh!

Best,
UN

So I googled wolf spider, the ones here aren't THAT big. Just some kind of brown spider. I guess they are tiny relatively speaking... after seeing how big those wolf spiders are. Maybe they're a small kind of wolf spider, all I know is they're brown and kind of hairy. And I've actually never been scared of stinging insects. There's a wasp nest near the hot tub and I never bother with it. Maybe one day I'll eat those words but till then, I don't bug wasps or bees or any kinda stinger bug. I remember seeing one kind of bee-looking insect. But it was the largest bee-looking thing I had ever seen. It had some kind of curved "trunk" or nose and a gray face. But had bee colors on its body. I tried to get really close to look, but it flew away. I'm going to try to find out what it was
CelesChere
Star Member
Star Member

on Fri 7 Jun - 5:25
We have a variety of insects here. Scorpions a few spiders yellowjackets hornets bees. I like bees and spiders. We have 3 different venomous snakes.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum