View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

Game of Thrones

on Wed 29 Jun - 1:25
i just started watching it. i am only up to season 3. i kinda started watching it because i heard there was a brother-sister relationship. since the first couple of episodes, the show has only references the scandal of their relationship, and the fact the king is their biological son. there's been no more romantic scenes between them. maybe it would be too much for audiences to handle to see them being intimate together as brother-sister.

overall, it’s been fun to watch. i like that it’s not too predictable. it’s really just a melodrama set in fictional mid-evil universe. i swear i almost have to take notes to keep track of character’s names, who they are and what side they are on. especially when some of secondary characters that don't appear that often, but important to story.

now that college is out for the summer, i can catch up on the rest of the episodes.
Admin
View user profilehttp://marriage-equality.blogspot.com

Re: Game of Thrones

on Wed 29 Jun - 5:33
The show is getting people to talk bout sibling relationships, that's for sure.
View user profile

on Thu 30 Jun - 1:02
Game of Thrones is a drama that includes incest as part of the plot, but it is not about incest.

View user profile

on Thu 30 Jun - 4:26
Sorry if my message implied that it was a story solely about the brother-sister. Never occurred to me that people might think the show was just about their relationship given that there are so many characters and plots.
View user profile

on Thu 30 Jun - 6:01
EmilyW wrote:Sorry if my message implied that it was a story solely about the brother-sister. Never occurred to me that people might think the show was just about their relationship given that there are so many characters and plots.

I didn't mean to suggest that.  Some of my posts can be rather direct and to the point, and that can seem curt in some instances. I wasn't trying to be harsh or rude, or make you feel wrong.

I've seen Game of Thrones referenced many times in incest groups, sometimes by people who are a little too enthusiastic about it. When consensual incest is part of someone's life, even as a fantasy, it is easy to get distracted by a story that includes it, especially since such stories are uncommon.  Incest is always portrayed negatively, as abuse, or as tragedy.  It is rare to see it presented in a neutral light, even if the characters who are involved are distasteful in other ways.

That being said, the incest in Game of Thrones isn't quite neutral.  The children born from it all die horribly.  The oldest child is a maniac. The sibling couple suffer greatly as a result of their relationship. To no small degree it was this relationship that set the events of the story in motion. Had these twins been platonic, there never would have been a war. So I guess on second thought, the incest in Game of Thrones isn't presented neutrally at all, but as the catalyst for disaster.
View user profile

on Mon 4 Jul - 23:08
OtherHans wrote:
EmilyW wrote:Sorry if my message implied that it was a story solely about the brother-sister. Never occurred to me that people might think the show was just about their relationship given that there are so many characters and plots.

I didn't mean to suggest that.  Some of my posts can be rather direct and to the point, and that can seem curt in some instances.  I wasn't trying to be harsh or rude, or make you feel wrong.

I've seen Game of Thrones referenced many times in incest groups, sometimes by people who are a little too enthusiastic about it.  When consensual incest is part of someone's life, even as a fantasy, it is easy to get distracted by a story that includes it, especially since such stories are uncommon.  Incest is always portrayed negatively, as abuse, or as tragedy.  It is rare to see it presented in a neutral light, even if the characters who are involved are distasteful in other ways.

That being said, the incest in Game of Thrones isn't quite neutral.  The children born from it all die horribly.  The oldest child is a maniac.  The sibling couple suffer greatly as a result of their relationship.  To no small degree it was this relationship that set the events of the story in motion.  Had these twins been platonic, there never would have been a war.  So I guess on second thought, the incest in Game of Thrones isn't presented neutrally at all, but as the catalyst for disaster.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify what you meant.

I am enjoying watching it. Love all the twists and turns, even though some of my favorite characters have been killed off. I've still have two more seasons to go before I catch up. I did peek ahead at the most recent episode and thankfully most of my favorite characters have not been killed off (yet)...lol.
Admin
View user profilehttps://consanguinamory.wordpress.com

on Tue 5 Jul - 9:02
I've not watched game of thrones (maybe I should then I'd know what all the fuss was about), but incest as a catalyst for disaster is hardly anything new in fiction. I guess they use that because it gives them a convenient plot device instead of presenting an incest couple as being as average and as boring as anyone else on the planet. I can't wait for the day when we start to be portrayed realistically.
View user profile

on Wed 6 Jul - 16:51
I will c/p a part of my reply in a thread about incest in contemporary fiction, because i mostly talked about GoT there and what I would post here would be more or less the same Razz

"One of the biggest contemporary pieces of fiction that features incest quite predominantly is Game of Thrones. What annoys me about it is that the TV series representation is not that good, whereas the book series one (A song of ice and fire) is. By omitting some parts of the book and changing some others, the Cersei-Jamie relationship in the TV series seems like a catalyst for calamity. It becomes cliche.

Whereas in the book it becomes clear that the calamity is not caused by their relationship. The calamity all around them is caused by the fact that Cersei is arrogant, evil, narcissistic, power hungry, manipulative and thinks she is waaaaaaay smarter than she actually is. She really only loves herself and her brother(in that order), the love for her children is an extension of that love. Jamie (one of my favorite characters in the books, some parts of his story really touch me) on the other hand really loves her. He loves her deeply and intensely, he does not feel whole without her. Despite Cersei's character, their relationship is not abusive, and neither it has roots in abuse. As Cersei said "Jaime and I are more than brother and sister, we shared a womb, came into this world together, we belong together." They just were very close since childhood and everything else was just a natural continuation of their love. Whatever trouble and loss was caused by their relationship in the books, is not caused by it directly. It is caused by their life or death struggle to keep their relationship secret, something that would not happen at all if incest was not a taboo in their universe (alas in ours too :/ ). Hell even most of the negative traits in Cersei's personality would probably not exist if they were free to pursue their love, since in the books we are given to believe that the bitterness and pain Cersei felt when she was forced to marry King Robert is what changed her.

To make a long story short the TV version of the Cersei-Jamie love is kinda meh, but the book one is in my opinion good!

P.S. Jamie's and Cersei's firstborn Joffrey, is a real asshole but it doesn't mean that his parentage is to blame. He was very pampered and spoiled rotten so it is a case of nurture, not nature. Their other two children are sweet, intelligent and beautiful. I could go more into the genetics in incest topic and the wild myths that exist about it, but that is something that probably belongs in another thread! Smile "

I can say that i really like the books, I have read them 3-4 times (yes I am a nerd Razz ) and the incestuous relationship of Cersei and Jamie is covered way better in there (big surprise, books vs TV hehe) and is depicted in a much better manner. If anything, in the books it seems that all the bad things that stemmed from their relationship only happened because they were not free to pursue their love. All this secrecy and feeling of imprisonment in a life they didn't choose was the root of the evils that plagued them. Not their love, never.

on Mon 11 Jul - 14:31
my family (aside from the two youngest for obvious reasons) just binged watched all 6 seasons over the past week. GoT is quite an addicting show. It has high points and some middling areas but it is overall enjoyable.
View user profile

on Tue 12 Jul - 5:24
I'm going to counter the argument that GoT portrays incest in a negative light with this: Daenerys Targaryen is arguably the most important character in the whole series. She's the Mother of Dragons. She's smart, clever, bold, ambitious, kind, charismatic, and DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!!

She's also the product of many, many generations of inbreeding. Not bad for taking such a shallow dip in the gene pool.

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

View user profile

on Wed 20 Sep - 23:33
And !SPOILER ALERT! she is now in a sexual relationship with the another maybe most important character in the show John Snow, whose real is Aegon Targaryen and he is her nephew Razz !SPOILER END! Anyway ,incest is not really portrayed in a negative light at all in GoT, it is neutral. If anything, its the taboo against it that is portrayed in a negative light, since this is really the cause of the problems.
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum