Go down
Jane Doe
Admin
Admin
View user profilehttps://consanguinamory.wordpress.com

Stupidest mistakes made in Minecraft Empty Stupidest mistakes made in Minecraft

on Tue 7 May - 22:51
I made a real stupid mistake today. I bred my sheep, I dyed my sheep all colours of the rainbow (except brown, I am yet to find a Jungle biome to get the cocoa beans necessary for brown dye), in preparation for the new building I was making for coloured beds and carpet... and forgot I was in a spruce taiga biome. I ensured that the sheep could not escape the pen as usual, but failed to ensure that wolves could not get in. I returned from building to find my entire flock killed. Needless to say I learned my lesson and removed the offending blocks of dirt that had allowed them to get in! So remember folks, if you decide to set up shop and farm in spruce Taiga, watch out for wolves!

Come on people, what stupid mistakes did you make whilst playing Minecraft?

CelesChere
Star Member
Star Member
View user profilehttp://ks2016.forumactif.fr/t899-my-dad-and-i

Stupidest mistakes made in Minecraft Empty Re: Stupidest mistakes made in Minecraft

on Wed 8 May - 7:29
Jane Doe
Admin
Admin

Stupidest mistakes made in Minecraft Empty Re: Stupidest mistakes made in Minecraft

on Thu 9 May - 1:42
In her shoes I would be angry too! The whole point of the game is to express creativity and make interesting things. I'd be pretty pissed off if someone else came along and decided to burn my buildings down (well, most of them are made of more than one material, but replacing the wooden parts would be annying, even if I get to keep the cobblestone frames). As long as you follow some basic rules, it shouldn't happen: Make all fireplaces out of non-flammable materials, and don't put wood within two spaces of the fire or the chimney. There is no excuse for not taking such a precaution, as cobblestone is rather abundant and non-flammable. Alternatively, if you don't like cobblestone, you could use Diorite, Andersite, Granite, glass blocks, terracotta or sandstone, even Iron if you've got a lot of it (but there are better uses for iron to be honest). Some people must be thick, fire spreads, even digital fire.
AWeatherborneIllness
View user profile

on Thu 13 Jun - 16:16
I forgot to seal up part of my creeper farm and they all got into my room >_<
Jane Doe
Admin
Admin

on Thu 13 Jun - 23:22
I didn't know you could farm creepers. You get gunpowder when you kill them, but how can you breed them?
AWeatherborneIllness
View user profile

on Fri 14 Jun - 0:28
Jane Doe wrote:I didn't know you could farm creepers. You get gunpowder when you kill them, but how can you breed them?
They spawn in the darkness like the other mobs so you just set up a spawn location leading to your trap and use their size difference to make barriers that filter out the other mobs
Jane Doe
Admin
Admin

on Sat 15 Jun - 23:37
I'd never considered making any traps, I'm not yet proficient enough at redstone devices. I can do automatic lighting using redstone lamps, a light detector and a NOT switch (basically a piece of cobblestone or wood attached to the circuit with a switch to reverse when the light comes on, so it's on at night and not in the day), and I can do an automated rail track (easy once you mine enough gold to place an automated rail every 12 or so blocks), railways can be useful for reaching other biomes which I might need to visit regularly (for example, it's quicker and easier to get a shitload of sand for glass by going to a desert than getting enough from a nearby river or ocean, depending on how much I need, but if I am doing a lot of buildings then I need quite a lot of sand). I tend to just attack the creepers whenever I see them at night if I need some gunpowder, or if they attack me first. Sometimes, gunpowder can also be found as part of the loot from various places like desert temples and from underground mossy cobblestone rooms where you find a mob spawner and a couple of chests. I find phantoms more of a nocturnal pest than any other mobs though, and I have no idea what to do with the phantom membranes they drop. I'm more of a builder of houses and a farmer than anything else to be honest. I won't go on creative mode though, because I enjoy the challenge of collecting the materials I need to build things, and gathering stuff to farm. It's no fun if it's all there from the get-go!

My 'starter' houses are normally made from dirt blocks, but it doesn't take me more than a couple of ingame days to have made myself a decent basic wooden house, and then the dirt one is demolished. In my current game file, I just moved house actually, the one I had served me well for a few weeks, but it's now too small. The one I am now using is a workshop/warehouse with two floors. The upper floor contains a bed, enchanting table, anvil and brewing stand, the lower floor is for storage of materials (I have over 100 chests) furnaces (about 30) and the crafting table. I have relocated my crops too, but the next challenge is relocating my flock of sheep, but organising them according to colour. I'm going to be making 16 individual pens to make the wool farming easier. I have some leads I got from killing stray Llamas which used to belong to a wandering merchant (I only killed them for the leather they drop), so it shouldn't be too problematic to relocate the sheep. Added bonus is this: I've moved away from the spruce taiga biome so wolves won't be a problem. Sheep tend to be safer in oak/birch meadow biomes. I also need to set up pens for cows, pigs and chickens. I feel my farm is still incomplete though, I still need to find a jungle, because I want cocoa beans, jungle wood saplings, and bamboo, and a pet parrot would be a welcome bonus. I would have a tamed wolf as a pet, but I don't know if it would still try to attack the sheep, hence I have not bothered taming one and I usually kill them if they go near the sheep pen. Being a builder of houses, it would be bad for me to lose my dyed sheep and the wool they produce. I never kill sheep for food, I mostly kill pigs for that, sheep are too valuable to me for the wool.

I've played a lot of games in my life, but few are as relaxing and as involved as Minecraft. What I like is the fact that you can do basically whatever you want to. My next project, after I finished setting up the new wool farm, is to build a cobblestone and dark oak skyscraper with automatic lighting. I do large projects every now and then, my last one was a massive cobblestone castle 70x70 blocks with an inner courtyard. It's big enough to be considered a landmark compared to my other much more modest buildings. I can throw up a house in an hour or two, but that castle took me a good couple of weeks and had me mining cobblestone (and iron) for hours. I also enjoy using concrete blocks for buildings too.

As a question for others: which would you say was one of the coolest things added in an update?

I personally love the new campfires. You can make the smoke go higher by placing a bale of hay underneath, you can use them for fires in the home so long as no wooden stuff is nearby, AND you can cook meats on them like a BBQ. It's not as efficient as cooking stuff in a furnace, but it's still a very cool feature. I make little outdoor campfires with cobblestone around it, and then 8 pieces of stairs (as chairs). The only other way of getting a permanent fire is to set alight a block of netherrack, but that doesn't look nearly so good. It's fine for a fireplace but not for much else.

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum