Go down
Jane Doe
Admin
Admin
View user profilehttps://consanguinamory.wordpress.com

Growing veggies Empty Growing veggies

on Sat 1 Jun - 23:12
Who here has a vegetable patch in the garden. I'm trying for one this year, peas, pumpkins, radishes, courgettes and carrots. The plants are doing well despite the clay soil, but I am worried about the excess of slugs. Here in the UK, it is a wet climate most of the time, and that means a shitload of slugs and snails. I do not want to harm or kill these creatures, but how can I keep them away from my plants without hurting them? So far I have done nothing except give the plants plenty of nutrients to assist growth, but I do not want to harm wildlife in persuit of higher crop yields, lest I destroy soil quality and hurt innocent creatures in the process. I want the food the be organic, that is the whole point. Is there a way to discourage these small animals from eating the crops without harming them? I like garden snails, but I don't want them eating the leaves of my pumpkin plants! They can eat as may dock leaves as they like, just leave my food plants alone. Has anyone here any advice for me?
crimsonfield
View user profile

Growing veggies Empty Re: Growing veggies

on Sun 2 Jun - 9:36
I help my grandparents with their garden when I stay over. They use copper tape as a barrier around their plants or patches. Snails hate copper and won't cross over. But beer traps are the most effective non-pesticide way to get rid of slugs as long as you keep the garden clean and don't leave stuff for the snails to hide under and lay eggs.

Early morning, hungover, and I'm writing about slugs and gardening. Suspect
sleepingrain
Admin
Admin
View user profile

on Sun 2 Jun - 12:56
We *had* a veggie patch. Local rabbit wiped out everything v_v
Unowen17
View user profile

on Sun 2 Jun - 13:01
I haven't tried to grow veggies in many years. For a lot of money, and a lot of effort, I can get a few dollars worth of veggies. Smile

It's hard to keep the slugs off if you don't want to kill them. Crimsonfeild's copper tape idea might work, but then there are the slugs that are already in the soil around the plants. Maybe there's something else you can spray on the veggies to make them distasteful to slugs.

Best,
UN

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum