Go down
Unowen17
Unowen17

Should the Media Forum be members-only? Empty Should the Media Forum be members-only?

on Tue 25 Jun - 2:08
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Hi, all,

Just wondering if there’s a reason to leave it visible to nonmembers. Sometimes people want to post personal details while they’re discussing something.

Best,
UN

Special Member
Special Member

Should the Media Forum be members-only? Empty Re: Should the Media Forum be members-only?

on Tue 25 Jun - 4:38
I agree with UN. In fact I think for member's security reasons it should all be 'members-only.'
sleepingrain
sleepingrain
Admin
Admin

Should the Media Forum be members-only? Empty Re: Should the Media Forum be members-only?

on Thu 27 Jun - 1:37
this doesn't seem like a bad idea ^_^ hopefully others will weigh in on it, but I wouldn't mind it being moved
kelsey

on Thu 27 Jun - 13:27
i think everything should be members-only. my other concern is that i often see a google-bot or something similar, which i'm assuming caches/indexes the forum. someone correct me if i'm wrong on this.
Unowen17
Unowen17

on Thu 27 Jun - 14:22
kelsey wrote:i think everything should be members-only. my other concern is that i often see a google-bot or something similar, which i'm assuming caches/indexes the forum. someone correct me if i'm wrong on this.

I'd leave Introductions and Announcements public, Kelsey. Non-introduced members need to be able to read them.

I see the bots, too. I ran a test on Google, and it doesn't look like it is getting inside the members-only parts.

Best,
UN

Star Member
Star Member
http://ks2016.forumactif.fr/t899-my-dad-and-i

on Thu 27 Jun - 21:31
Yes I think it should. I'm for everything being members only. Obviously with the exception of introductions and maybe announcements
Unowen17
Unowen17

on Fri 28 Jun - 16:30
The following forums are public, meaning I can see them even when I'm logged out:

• Announcements. Non-members may be interested.
  • Suggestions/Questions. Sometimes someone who's signed up, but hasn't yet introduced themself, wants to ask a question before they're let into the closed areas.
  • Introductions. Obviously, we need this to be visible to nonmembers.
  • Media Forum. The only reason why we might want to keep this public access is to provide media links to prospective members who are checking the forum out, and for liaison reasons.
  • Off Topic. I'm on the fence about this. Usually it's pretty harmless to have it public unless somebody posts something sensitive there by mistake.

So I'd say that the Media Forum is the strongest candidate to make non-public, and the rest should stay public.

One other possible way to handle things would be to leave the forums with the same access they have now, but add "(Public)" to their names, just to remind people not to post their Social Security numbers there or something. Smile

Jane? Other ninjas?

Best,
UN

on Fri 28 Jun - 17:13
Unowen17 wrote:One other possible way to handle things would be to leave the forums with the same access they have now, but add "(Public)" to their names, just to remind people not to post their Social Security numbers there or something. Smile

I'm in favor of this. *raises hand*

AbeSarah
Special Member
Special Member

on Sat 29 Jun - 0:43
That's a good suggestion! I support  it.
Unowen17
Unowen17

on Sun 30 Jun - 11:15
Jane, your thoughts? I think we have a consensus.

Best,
UN

Star Member
Star Member
http://ks2016.forumactif.fr/t899-my-dad-and-i

on Mon 1 Jul - 9:58
I woukd like off topic to be private too. While it doesnt cover cosang stuff it still reveals some information about who we are as people that Id prefer to be private and has no reason to be public.
Unowen17
Unowen17

on Mon 1 Jul - 10:32
Well, I guess we don’t have as much of a consensus as I’d thought we did. Sad

Honestly, having Off Topic public does serve a purpose. It might help convince a casual passerby that we’re human. Do you see my point?

Best,
UN

Admin
Admin
https://consanguinamory.wordpress.com

on Wed 3 Jul - 23:03
I agree with most of what has been said here, but I am on the fence about off-topic. I think the following forums should necessarily be public: announcements, questions and suggestions, and introductions, with everything else being made private.... It's been a very long time since we tinkered with these settings, actually it was when I first set this place up. Are we all in agreement that these three should be public, and the rest private... including off-topic? When I change things, I'll make an announcement about it, and also make a sticky thread in each of the public ones warning them that anything they post in there is visible to non-members. I can make these changes tomorrow if everyone agrees.
Unowen17
Unowen17

on Thu 4 Jul - 3:18
Jane, I can live with Off Topic being either moved to private or marked (Public) in the title. Your call.

Best,
UN

Admin
Admin

on Sat 6 Jul - 23:35
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Off-topic and Media forums have now been moved to members only. Only announcements, introductions and questions and suggestions remains public.
Unowen17
Unowen17

on Sat 6 Jul - 23:38
Thanks, Jane. I think this will avoid some problems.

Best,
UN

Admin
Admin

on Sat 6 Jul - 23:42
No problem UN... to be honest, it's something I had not reviewed in a long time, and there was good reasons for making this change Smile
Unowen17
Unowen17

on Fri 19 Jul - 22:54
Jane, I think Off-Topic and Media might still be visible to un-introduced members. In other words, anyone can see them by getting an account. I just had to move a new-member intro out of Media.

Is there any way to change their permissions so that only introduced members can see them?

Best,
UN

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum