View previous topicGo downView next topic
Admin
View user profilehttp://www.lilysgardener.com

Anyone have pets?

on Tue 23 Aug - 8:18
I am an animal lover, and I have 2 kittens ( one orange kitten and one black and white polydactyl) and one 3 year old f6 Savannah cat. Over the years I have had many cats, dogs, horses, and a few exotic animals as well. They all hold a special place in my heart Smile So I am just curious if anyone else has pets, and what kind of animal and what breed ( if they are purebred) All of mine in the last 10 years have been rescued from animal shelters. But I also like purebred animals. I guess when it comes down to it, I love all animals whether they are pure bred or mixed. Animals are such good companions and make great therapy pets. So anyway, I would love to hear about anyone else's fur babies Smile
Admin
View user profile

Re: Anyone have pets?

on Tue 23 Aug - 8:43
Cristina, you're an angel to rescue them from shelters like that. There's a lot of them in need there.
In the past, I've had a few pets, though none right now (at least, not exactly). It's very neat that you've had horses, they're amazing animals.
Admin

on Tue 23 Aug - 9:00
I agree, horses are wonderful. When I moved across the continent to be with my brother, I had to give up horses. There arent any stables in this area unfortunately. But my kitty fur babies give me so much happiness. I wouldn't trade them for the world Smile
View user profile

on Tue 23 Aug - 10:50
I had lots of pets while growing up, goldfish, canaries, baby pidgeons I rescued (they were lost from their nests and would die otherwise) that I nursed until they grew up and then I let them go, cats, dogs, I even had a crab I caught for a whole summer before I let it go free again(I kept it in a salt water aquarium and fed it fish, watching a crab eat was strangely mesmerizing, I think it is because it uses its pinchers like we use our hands for that) Razz . Dogs are by far my favorite, but I love all kinds of animals.

At the moment I care for my grandmothers two dogs (one is a a collie/german shepherd mix I rescued from the streets years ago and the other one is a maltese) and I personally have a mixed breed cat, again rescued from the streets when she was a kitten.
Admin
View user profilehttps://consanguinamory.wordpress.com

on Tue 23 Aug - 14:34
Just a cat Smile
Admin
View user profile

on Tue 23 Aug - 14:54
Caine you sweetie, rescuing baby pidgeons ^_^ that made my morning, thank you for that.
One time me and my sis found a crawfish in a sandbank (it was raining and we were god knows where in the country, having been left to our own devices). We caught it and took care of it for a time, that was neat.
Dogs are lovely companions too! ...a bit burned-out from cats, lol

on Fri 26 Aug - 11:43
2 cats and a dog. sister and the kids love them. I tolerate them!
View user profile

on Tue 30 Aug - 17:18
Hehe sleepingrain, I couldn't just let them die even though I had a pretty severe case of bacteriophobia at the time Razz You can imagine how much I washed my hands until they grew enough to feed themselves, hehehehe. I almost melted my skin off Razz They only need lots of attention when they were very small, but the thing is that when they grew a bit all wanted to hang around me all the time. At least they were not stray anymore then, so I wasn't so obsessed with cleaning my hands all the time Razz All of them left when they grew enough to want to have a nest and family, but saving them and knowing that they are somewhere out there really brought a smile to my face! In total I had 2 pidgeons and 3 collared doves(pidgeon subspecies, not as tame as the common one) and I mended a broken leg in one of them. Now that I have a cat in my home that would be way harder though Razz
View user profile

on Tue 30 Aug - 20:58
I grew up around pit bulls (my dad bred them) until I was nine, then when I only lived with my mother, I lived with up to 5 cats. As an adult, I had two turtles that I caught at a pond when they were babies. I raised them to adulthood. They were male and female, and the female got pregnant. She was still too young when it happened so the baby turtles died. Sad

My favorite pet was a cat named Cleopatra. I raised her since she was a kitten, and we were very close. I had to let her go when I moved to Florida, which made me very sad. I don't have any pets now, but I do plan to get one eventually.
Admin

on Tue 30 Aug - 21:38
Pit Bulls? Jeez that's a dangerous breed to have around kids, what were your parents thinking? Safe breeds when small children are about are things like King Charles Spaniels which are really placid dogs. Of course you can get more placid larger breeds like Labrador. Even as an adult I would not approach a Pit Bull, they've been known to turn on people completely unprovoked out of the blue, I certainly would not trust one. Pit Bulls are a banned breed in my country under the dangerous dogs act for this very reason, because children were getting savaged by them. That's not to say that any breed cannot be dangerous, if you provoke the animal enough it will bite to defend itself, but most dogs don't go ballistic for no reason whatsoever where Pit Bulls do.
Admin

on Wed 31 Aug - 6:36
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
oh jane, my dear friend, you are sadly misinformed on pit bulls. Many people assume them to be dangerous because of their dog fighting reputation. But they make GREAT family pets when they have been socialized properly, just like any other breed. Most pit bull aggressive dogs are only aggressive towards other dogs, this was bred into them for dog fighting, but being dog aggressive does not mean that they are not people friendly. They are a very misunderstood breed. For more details anyone is welcome to message me privately or post their comments or questions here. I have been working with dogs since I was 5. My grandfather was a dog trainer. So I am an animal behaviorist. Most pit bulls that turn on people unprovoked, are the products of heavy generational inbreeding, so deformity can present as physical or emotional. Knowing all of this, I recommend anyone with children who want a pit bull pup should get it when it is still young so you can assure it has been socialized properly, and always ask the breeder many questions about their background, their parents, any health problems the parent exhibits, and make sure the pup isn't heavily inbred. if pit bulls are carefully selected, they make absolutely fabulous family pets. There are no bad dogs, only bad owners that don't socialize and train their dogs correctly.
View user profile

on Wed 31 Aug - 9:57
I was going to respond to Jane, but Cristina has already said pretty much exactly what I would have said. As long as Pit bulls are well bred and well socialized, they make excellent pets and guard dogs. Had a wonderful dog named Leah who, like Cristina said, loved people and hated other animals, especially other dogs. She was a real sweetheart. Miss her, too.
Admin

on Wed 31 Aug - 10:12
I am sure leah is is up there somewhere, probably sitting with my beloved companions waiting on us to join them again after this lifetime. My heart goes out to all the pet lovers and owners who have lost their fur babies. I can certainly relate, and boy do I cherish the memories. when I got my first rottweiler I was 18 years old. We trained in obedience, agility, and schutzhund 1, 2, and 3. Those were some great times. its's funny though, my family hit the roof when I got her. They thought she would be the awful, aggressive,type of dog that people make them out to be. But after the first 2 years, they saw how awesome rottweilers are when trained and socialized properly.And now, one of my sisters and my mother both have rottweilers. And my sister says her rotty is the best babysitter she ever had lol. When you teach them that they serve a purpose (like keeping an eye on the kids playing in the yard) they take their responsibilities very seriously. She does her job very well keeping the kids safe.
Admin

on Wed 31 Aug - 14:33
Many breeds in this country have also been illegally used for dog fighting, a practice banned by the animal cruelty laws. One such breed is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, when properly socialized, it's a nice family pet, when trained for fighting it will fight. However, a properly socialized Staffy will not turn on it's owners or other people at random. This is why there isn't a law banning the breed, it isn't aggressive by default it's only nasty when taught to be.

Pit Bulls on the other hand, even when they're socialized from being a puppy, even when they are never taught to fight, even when they are raised clearly as a family pet.... they can and do still sometimes turn. The sorts of injuries these dogs can inflict are catastrophic, people lose their arms and that's just the adults. Children are usually killed by these animals if the dog turns. I liken them to an old unexploded land mine, it may never go off, but the reality is that they can explode at any time without the slightest warning.

I don't agree with many things that my government does, but the pit bull ban I 100% agree with, these animals are just far too unpredictable and dangerous.
View user profile

on Wed 31 Aug - 15:39
I remember having a similar conversation about this topic with my college art teacher (a gentleman from Scotland), and I said the same things to him as I will say to you: What percentage of Americanized Bull Terriers do you think actually turn on their owners? The news media plays up their danger because obviously a dog that is friendly or never attacks anyone doesn't is not newsworthy. I'd be wary of anything the media says about almost anything really. I've learned over the course of the last year just how bias and corrupt the mainstream media is.
Admin

on Wed 31 Aug - 18:00
To be fair, I'd wager that the percentage of these dogs that turn on their owners is pretty low, but it would be significantly higher than it would be for most other breeds. It's not just the chances of the dog turning, it's the ferocity with which they attack. How many other breeds are capable of tearing off peoples limbs? Some small breeds like Jack Russell can be vicious too, and if one gets you you're likely to be off to the hospital with a rather nasty cut that needs stitching up, but that's a far cry from losing your arm or leg.
Admin

on Wed 31 Aug - 23:03
there was a time when the UKC acknowledged pit bulls as a breed. While AKC did not. So the AKC made it so that for a period of 3 years, any UKC registered pit bull could be registered as an american staffordshire with the AKC. After the trial period the AKC closed their doors on this allowance. So in conclusion, every AMerican Staffordshire is a pit bull just with a different name with the AKC.
View user profile

on Thu 1 Sep - 23:25
Jane Doe wrote:It's not just the chances of the dog turning, it's the ferocity with which they attack. How many other breeds are capable of tearing off peoples limbs? Some small breeds like Jack Russell can be vicious too, and if one gets you you're likely to be off to the hospital with a rather nasty cut that needs stitching up, but that's a far cry from losing your arm or leg.

True, though I consider that just as much a feature as a risk. A dog that can rip the limbs off a dangerous and unwanted intruder is the best security money can buy, even better than a gun in some cases. Again, as long as they are well trained and well bred, they make a great and loyal companion, and a companion that will risk his or her life to protect you and tear that intruder into pieces. Twisted Evil Pretty sweet if you ask me, though for some your mileage may vary.
Admin

on Thu 1 Sep - 23:42
Although I can understand where you're coming from, I must respectfully disagree. I don't think keeping such a dog is worth the possible risk, even if that risk is small.
View user profile

on Fri 2 Sep - 0:10
Plenty of other breeds to chose from. If you live in a safe enough neighborhood, a dog like a pit bull might seem unnecessary, so a safer breed would be more optimal.
Admin

on Fri 2 Sep - 23:17
The area I live in is pretty safe, there is some crime but most of it is of the shoplifting variety. So yes, aggressive dogs are a bit overkill. People here keep a wide variety of dogs with the most popular large breed appearing to be Labrador... but toy breeds are quite popular too, in fact there is one woman who walks her chihuahua every day and the dog is smaller than my cat, it's the tiniest dog I ever saw, small even by normal standards for the breed, I thought it was a puppy until she told me otherwise, and it's extremely friendly but very very loud.
View user profile

on Sat 17 Sep - 7:15
ooo a savanah cat cool ever have a caracal for a pet
View user profile

on Wed 19 Oct - 14:00
I have a pitbull I got from a shelter when he was young around 2 years old I got him because he was the only dog to come to the fence when I approached that told me he was friendly.I wanted a dog my kids could enjoy and I will tell you the dog is my youngests best friend and his protector whilst on a walk with my youngest in the carriage a stray approached and my pitbull immediately put himself between the dog and my child at that moment I decided he had a home for life. Now a Chihuahua may do the same thing but I'd wager after all is said and done you would be looking for a new pet. At first I would never leave the dog alone with my child because kids pull ears and tails I wanted to see just how tolerent the dog was now my youngest lays on his back while watching tv sits on him and when the dog doesn't want to be bothered he simply gets up and leaves. Yes some have turned on their owners most of the time this can be attributed to abuse or the owner not recognizing the warning signs my dog isn't good aggesive but he is good motivated will do anything for a treat however I never let the children bother him while he's eating I taught them to place the bowl and move away it's all in socialization and training. Pitbull are great guard dogs all they have to do is be seen lol. Ultimately German Shepherds Rotweilers Doberman Pinchers any medium to large breed dog can do damage if not properly socialized cared for and trained that includes the owners I was bitten by a German Shepherd when I was a child but I don't blame the breed I blamed the owner and to be honest I wasn't a pitbull fan either until I gave one a chance and isn't it ironic that's exactly what we in this forum are asking for
View user profile

on Thu 20 Oct - 12:16
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
I forget to mention my pitbull shares my house with a cat and a ferrett all 3 roam the house freely no problem
View user profile

on Fri 28 Oct - 2:43
I grew up around German Shepherds most of my life. I'm currently the proud grandmother of a Pit Bull Terrier and she is the best. I've also had a box turtle, a toy poodle, a Minor Bird, a Canary and my fair share of cats.
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum