Go down
View user profile

Re: Anyone have pets?

on Sat 21 Jan - 3:46
I had a kitty cat. She was an orange pretty kitty. She died on March 1 2016 and broke my heart. She was about 17ish years old. I miss more than words can explain!
View user profile

on Sat 25 Mar - 8:01
I grew up around dogs all my life, but adopted 2 cats 3 years ago. They have helped me with more crap in my life than I can describe haha.
View user profile

on Sun 26 Mar - 20:16
Hi. I'm new here. I promise not to troll. I wish I had a pet. But now I just say I have an imaginary goldfish named Bob who knows kung-fu. Please note the pet is imaginary.

on Wed 24 May - 10:57
a long row of animals as long i can remember. names, photos, stories. no horses.turtles, fish, birds,cats,dogs. mostly found wounded or left on the street.
i was surprised of their inteligence and the ways of comunicaton with them. we had a healer cat.any time someone had fever she came , layed on the chest , two hours afterwards fever gone. a canar singing only when water in the shink was running.
lessons in coexistence and respect.
Admin
Admin
View user profilehttp://www.lilysgardener.com

on Sun 28 May - 8:07
thank you all for responding to my thread. I am REALLY enjoying hearing about everyone's pets both past and present Smile
View user profile

on Mon 12 Jun - 5:51
I have one cat that I adopted from an animal shelter about 5 years ago. She loves to be petted and loves it when I play with her with her stringy toy.
View user profile

pets

on Thu 14 Dec - 5:14
I have several horses, two dogs, a cat and 10 ckooks. They keep me very busy. J
View user profile

on Thu 14 Dec - 5:41
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Two little dogs of indeterminate breed (I call them Blankie Terriers, because they get super desperate to get under anything that looks like a blanket) I got from a shelter, and two ferrets. Those are the indoor pets.

The outdoor pets are one old horse (Tennessee Walker), four goats (three Alpines and a surly La Mancha), and a constantly varying number of free range chickens (Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks... mostly).
View user profile

on Thu 14 Dec - 9:40
Love cats. They make me sneeze.

Love dogs. Can't keep one due to job circumstances.

About the best I can do is feed the birds. But only in the winter -- there are bears around in the summer, and they get into the feeders.

UN
View user profile

on Thu 14 Dec - 10:46
To chime in on the "dangerous dog breeds" topic from a page back, I thought I'd lend my experience.

I used to work for a dog rescue organization that called itself a "sanctuary"; basically, they took in dogs that were otherwise looking at being euthanized due to serious behavioral problems. We can argue all night over whether or not that's a good idea, but the point is, I worked with a lot of truly dangerous animals.

There were a couple of pits there, but they were just standard rescue dogs, completely adoptable. The most dangerous dogs I have ever laid eyes on were nicknamed "The Doom Crew", and they had their own special procedures for feeding and turnouts.

1) A german shepherd mix named Dexter. This was before the TV show came out, but it was still fitting. He'd killed three other dogs before I got there, and took a nasty chunk out of another while I was working there. He was dangerous to people as well. So dangerous that his kennel was retrofitted with plexiglass and a special puzzle-lock handle so that it could never be opened accidentally. When we'd let him out into the yard for turnout, we opened the back door of the kennel, triple-check the yard to make sure nobody was out there, then we'd unlock his door and open it so that it met the open outside door, forming a barrier that wouldn't let him go anywhere but the yard. Then we'd put his full food bowl in the empty kennel, and remove the old empty bowl. Nobody could go outside, because he'd attack the fences. I worked there almost six months before I ever actually saw what he looked like.

A big Akita named Kuma. Kuma wasn't as psychotic as Dexter, but he was possibly more dangerous because he was smart. He would be a perfectly well-behaved dog.... right up until he wasn't. Two of the other girls working the night shift out there told us he nearly mauled them one evening at the end of last turnout. The smaller girl was pinned in the corner and the bigger one had to physically shove him off of her and get big and loud herself to make him unsure of his position. Then he just went back into his house as nice as you please. The owner never really believed them. "He was just playing!" she said. I don't doubt it for a second though.

A Staffy named Jack Daniels. He wasn't actively dangerous like the other two, but if he saw a leash, or a food bowl, or his ball, he had no qualms about literally trying to rip your arm off for it.

Another shepherd mix named Anya. This was the only dog Dexter wouldn't have a go at. That should pretty much be all you need to know. Her kennel was set up exactly the same was as his, and they had some kind of murder's code of respect in that they could actually be out together with no problems. Anyone else was looking at a quick, brutal death.

Then there was Jello. I don't remember what kind of dog Jello was, but I seem to think he was a lab/pit mix. He was fuzzy like a lab, but stocky, like a pit. We got him as a puppy, in a normal rescue situation. One of the more experienced girls noticed signs of aggression in him, and tried to get it taken care of, but the owner wasn't having it. It got worse, until he could no longer be around any other dogs, and then it got even worse, so he could only be around the most experienced people. About a year or two after I quit working there, word got back to me that one of the new girls had accidentally let Dexter out on him... and he almost ripped Dexter apart, to the tune of thousands of dollars of vet bills.

Comparatively speaking, I'd take a purebreed pitbull from a reputable breeder over any kind of pit mix, shepherd mix, Staffy, or, god forbid, an Akita.
View user profile

on Thu 14 Dec - 11:31
Staffies are nice dogs if they weren't abused.

Several years back, I captured a stray kitten that was walking on the side of a busy road and looked likely to get killed if I didn't do something. I'm allergic to cats and couldn't keep her, so I took her to the local no-kill shelter. The shelter folks were suspicious that I was trying to dump her, but eventually after some grilling believed me. While I was there, one of the volunteers introduced us to a female Staffie that had been taken from a dogfighting ring. She wasn't aggressive enough to fight, so they made her the target. Sad

Another time, I encountered a Staffie in the woods, with her owners. She loved to play... but, BOY, did she use a lot of teeth! Smile

UN
Admin
Admin
View user profile

on Thu 14 Dec - 17:55
The Doom Crew, it sounds like a Stephen King novel. Have you considered journaling your experiences? they sound like quite crazy memories at times.
View user profile

on Thu 14 Dec - 22:46
I thought about an idea based on that place; turning it into a story about a maximum security prison for demons or aliens or something, but it worked equally well as fantasy or sci-fi, and I just couldn't pick, so I scrapped it.
Admin
Admin
View user profile

on Fri 15 Dec - 15:12
If you're still interested, maybe there's a solution? like, a compromise between both. Or synergetic combination, that would be best!
my thoughts are a little off-topic sooo there's the Creative Writing board, if you feel like bouncing ideas around.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum