Go down
View user profile

gender and naming

on Thu 26 Jan - 20:00
bit of back story, In real life we both some girly names in fact more girls have our names then boys. Now given we both don't have first and middle names that are more a girls name but we do go by them and went by them all out life. We just want to know does any one here have gender ambiguous or opposite names and how do you feel about it?

For us we did get made fun some but we gait made fun more other things, like being super small as kids.
View user profile

Re: gender and naming

on Sat 11 Nov - 9:14
aww that sucks. i'm sorry you went through that. did you like the names before and like them now? looks like things worked out for you tho.
Admin
Admin
View user profilehttps://consanguinamory.wordpress.com

on Sat 11 Nov - 22:25
My name is definitely in line with my gender, I'm glad it is to be honest. I can't imagine it being any other way. I know some names can be for both sexes (Leslie/Lesley, Billy/Billie...etc, which sound the same but the gender difference is in the spelling) but I've never known for a boy to be given a girls name or a girl to be given a boys name. Stupidest thing I ever heard of was some idiot calling their poor kid 'Hashtag' of all things, now, that child is likely to get picked on because of that, and it's very selfish of a parent to do that in my opinion. All children deserve a normal name which is inkeeping with their gender, even when the name is uncommon. I've nothing against new names being made either, as long as they aren't something which could cause a child to get bullied. I was bullied at school over having greasy hair and spots, I can only imagine what children with gender inappropriate names must go through.
View user profile

on Sun 12 Nov - 11:58
See our view as been shaped by growing up with names like this. We really don't see much reason why names need to be gendered in the first place, ad we have grown to like out names.
Admin
Admin
View user profile

on Sun 12 Nov - 13:46
This reminds me of that song, 'A Boy Named Sue'. Names don't have to be gendered, thoouugh you could reason it makes it easier for some people. It certainly makes things harder for others.
Hashtag, now that's something else... maybe they thought it was cute or clever or somesuch. Most people have innocent intentions... or they just don't think things through. Or both.
People are ridiculed for so many things.
Admin
Admin
View user profilehttps://consanguinamory.wordpress.com

on Mon 13 Nov - 1:24
Rain, I thought of that song too but I wasn't going to mention it... but LOL.

As to the idea of names being gendered in the first place, I guess it's just human nature to categorize things, and therefore feminine names ended up being for girls, and masculine ones for the boys... primarily anyway. I have nothing against there being more gender neutral names, I guess they're just less common because of peoples need to categorize the names as either masculine or feminine.

nenuser, I'm glad you came to like your names, despite any problems you had while growing up because of it Smile
Admin
Admin
View user profile

on Tue 14 Nov - 22:12
Wasn't sure if I should either! but after he mentioned how it had shaped his view, growing up like that, well...
and he didn't feel like he'd mind (I really hope you didn't! it felt okay)
You're probably right Jane, about human nature & categorizing things. Sometimes we get a little carried away, it seems.
View user profile

on Fri 26 Jan - 14:28
sleepingrain wrote:This reminds me of that song, 'A Boy Named Sue'.

And of course Jayne Cobb from Firefly.

UN
Admin
Admin
View user profile

on Fri 26 Jan - 20:25
But his name has a Y... is that different, somehow?
View user profile

on Fri 26 Jan - 20:54
sleepingrain wrote:But his name has a Y... is that different, somehow?

I know of two women that spell it Jayne. I've never heard of a man named Jayne outside of Firefly.

UN
Admin
Admin
View user profile

on Fri 26 Jan - 22:19
Me neither, though I don't know many Janes except ours. Makes me wonder if some Firefly fans named their sons after Jayne Cobb. It's nice thinking about.
View user profile

on Sun 28 Jan - 10:38
sleepingrain wrote:Me neither, though I don't know many Janes except ours. Makes me wonder if some Firefly fans named their sons after Jayne Cobb. It's nice thinking about

He’d grow up quick and he’d grow up mean. Not unlike Jayne Cobb.

Come to think of it, I don’t know any other Janes either. Only one that comes to mind is Miss Jane Hathaway from the Beverly Hillbillies. Nancy Kulp played her to perfection.

Old-fashioned name, not in common use anymore. I like old-fashioned names. Nancy is another.

UN

Last edited by Unowen17 on Sun 28 Jan - 10:45; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Defeat autocorrect)
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum