View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

Taboo FX/BBC

on Wed 8 Feb - 21:23
There's a tv show airing right now called Taboo FX/BBC that has consanguinamory themes: its main character had a (not so secret) relationship with his half-sister and is still in love with her. I have no idea how it's going to end for them because the season isn't over yet, but it's probably not going to have a happy ending. Still, the show portrays their relationship in a sort of positive light, and it's canon. Unless it's suddenly revealed that they're not actually siblings of course, but I doubt it. In any case, I recommend the show to everyone. I made this fanvideo about their relationship so far, if anyone wants to check it out. It contains very few spoilers:

View user profile

Re: Taboo FX/BBC

on Thu 9 Feb - 0:33
What is more, it looks like they may have a son together.
View user profile

on Thu 9 Feb - 1:32
OtherHans wrote:What is more, it looks like they may have a son together.  
Yeah, though we don't know for sure yet. But if it were the case that would be great indeed.
View user profile

on Thu 9 Feb - 22:21
I've heard of this in a passing way on Tumblr (like someone's reblog of an image or something). They better damn well be related! Or else it's NO different than so many other kinds of baiting, to get viewers. I haven't watched the show or anything so I can't watch the vid due to spoilers. But I think it's awesome that you make fan videos!! I do that too, though I haven't made one for a consanguine pair yet. But you go, Nolan!!! You ship them to pieces! lol All I have to say is they better be related......... This is what I want to see more of.. Actual romantic/sexual consang relationships with MAIN characters that are written fearlessly..... But idk.. It just sounds too good to be true. We shall see..
View user profile

on Thu 9 Feb - 22:43
I'm pretty sure that the writers will not bait us about them not being related due to some actors commentary I've watched and also the fact that it's called Taboo, but who knows. I hope the show doesn't let us down either with such a cope out. If you want, I could tell you once the season is over (in 3 weeks I think) if it's confirmed that they are blood siblings, so you can then watch the show if you want and not have to worry about there being any baiting. In any case, I recommend the show not only for the consang relationship, as it's quite a great show in general. Tom Hardy is so talented, and Mark Gatiss and Tom Hollander play recurring characters. There's also LGBT representation.

blackroseheart wrote:This is what I want to see more of.. Actual romantic/sexual consang relationships with MAIN characters that are written fearlessly.....
Same here... We need much more cansanguinamory media representation, portrayed in a GOOD light. I've heard the Borgias had a canon siblings relationship but I have not watched it myself. And GoT, well, I wouldn't say that show portrays anything in a good light. :/

So you make fanvideos as well? I'd love to see some of yours, if you don't mind! Thanks for your kind words. Smile
View user profile

on Fri 10 Feb - 10:29
Also, I'm having this debate over on reddit (remove spaces between dots): https: //www . reddit . com/r/TabooFX/comments/5szrwa/theres_nothing_wrong_with_james_and_zilphas/?utm_content=title&utm_medium=hot&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=TabooFX

Feel free to contribute guys, it would really help if people saw that I'm not the only one arguing pro-incest. Or even just to upvote positive comments / downvote negative ones.
View user profile

on Sun 12 Feb - 3:42
Hey Nolan, that is interesting. Well, all I can say is IF they do let us down, I still have faith that someday more courageous/unapologetic writers will come along to do things differently.
Yes, actually, I'd really appreciate if you could tell me... If I decide to watch, I'll check out your video afterwards (so there are no spoilers). That's great that there's queer representation in there too.

I've heard the Borgias had a canon siblings relationship but I have not watched it myself. And GoT, well, I wouldn't say that show portrays anything in a good light. :/

Yea, I got that impression of Borgia too, from seeing memes on Tumblr. I am on the 2nd season of Borgia. Smile It's a strange show but I'm looking forward to that consang storyline. haha, yea GoT can be complicated, but I still see alot of depth and good writing in it, so I can't say anything negative about it. I just hope more positive portrayals come out of other fiction.

I PM'd you about my youtube vids. Smile

Also, Nolan, I'm sorry but I try to stay away from reddit discussions unless it's on r/incest where people are a little more open-minded... So, you'd have to ask someone else to help out, but I wish you luck. You could always crosspost the link on r/incest and some people from there may participate.
View user profile

on Sun 12 Feb - 13:19
Alright, got it! I'll let you know. Last night's episode was great but bittersweet regarding the siblings relationship, although the characters are insane lol.

GoT does have great writing but its characters are all terrible human beings, I quit the show after the first season. It was just too much betrayal, uncaring people, no true friendships or requited relationships... not to mention the way Cersei treats her brothers. Idk, might give it another chance someday, who knows.

You're wise by staying away from reddit discussions from other subreddits. In that discussion I mentioned there's LOTS of hate and incestophobia. You're probably better off staying away I suppose if you value your sanity lol. But I don't so I'm still there trying to reason with unreasonable people. Anyway that's a good idea thanks! We'll keep talking on FB. Smile
View user profile

on Sun 12 Feb - 18:27
Nolan - it's worth plugging away at Game of Thrones.
View user profile

on Tue 14 Feb - 9:37
rostone wrote:Nolan - it's worth plugging away at Game of Thrones.
Thanks man. The problem is, I finished the first season feeling like I didn't (and shouldn't) care about any of the characters. Most of them either die or are psychopaths. And no matter how great the writing is or how good the actors are or how well done the cinematography is, I've never been able to invest in a show without caring for any of its characters. I honestly don't see the point in watching a bunch of people kill one another for power and revenge.
Admin
View user profilehttp://marriage-equality.blogspot.com

on Tue 14 Feb - 12:22
Do you read novels? Our friend Diane Rinella wrote _Love's Forbbiden Flower_ and _Time's Forbidden Flower_ about a brother-sister couple. It is unflinching.
View user profile

on Wed 15 Feb - 11:50
FullMarriageEquality wrote:Do you read novels? Our friend Diane Rinella wrote _Love's Forbbiden Flower_ and _Time's Forbidden Flower_ about a brother-sister couple. It is unflinching.
Thanks for the recommendation, I certainly like reading novels. I do not have much free time but I'll definitely read it when I do, thank you! I'm sure I'll like it. We need lots of works that include consang themes and relationships!
View user profile

on Thu 16 Feb - 0:43
I have seen up to episode 4 and until now I really really like it. The relationship between Hardy's and Oona's characters seems sincere and positive, though the sister seems to want to suppress it now because of the pressures of society. Anyway, Hardy's character is a complete badass and a joy to watch(I just love how he spits on the face of the system, the society and well he doesn't give the slightest f*ck), so I guess no matter which way the series concludes, it will be a must watch for me! ^^
View user profile

on Thu 16 Feb - 3:44
Hey, Nolan. Thank you. I will wait on you to say something about Taboo before I watch.

And about Game of Thrones, I understand where you're coming from. I shared my thoughts on GoT here: http://ks2016.forumactif.fr/t93-game-of-thrones-observation

The problem is, I finished the first season feeling like I didn't (and shouldn't) care about any of the characters ... And no matter how great the writing is or how good the actors are or how well done the cinematography is, I've never been able to invest in a show without caring for any of its characters.

I have to look at everything I read objectively as well as subjectively so that I can learn from the writing, but if I were to think about how I feel about it on a purely personal level... I too find it very depressing, and except for Tyrion, I don't really feel any personal attachment to any of the characters. And even Tyrion (as much as I love him) isn't the usual type I identify with.... so I feel an emotional disconnect. But I watch it so I could learn because I believe all stories are valid, even if it's not my ideal story (in a personal sense). Also, the books go far more in depth, so there's stuff the tv show cannot capture (like finer emotions and layers of backstory) that only the books convey.

In that discussion I mentioned there's LOTS of hate and incestophobia. You're probably better off staying away I suppose if you value your sanity lol. But I don't so I'm still there trying to reason with unreasonable people.

I just need a break from the negativity. Even among seemingly unreasonable people, you're bound to make some stop and think... Someone has to do the representation in spaces like that, so good for you. Smile It takes strength and I really respect those that do participate in discussions with people like that. Keep at it. It's the only way to show there's another side to this argument and to get more allies.
View user profile

on Sun 26 Feb - 12:53
Blackroseheart: Taboo's season finale was last night. They are CONFIRMED siblings. Canon incest.

However... it's tragic. Don't expect a happy ending if you decide to watch the show. I still recommend it highly, especially because however it ends, their incestuous relationship is canon and for a while it's almost beautiful to watch. It's worth watching but do be prepared, this show is dark as fuck!
View user profile

on Sun 26 Feb - 18:26
Hey Nolan! Thank you for the update. I'm disappointed to hear it ended sadly but it's great that they didn't take the blood-relation cop out.

I just have one question (best to put spoiler warning for others)... Do they still care about each other at the end? Or does one reject the other?
View user profile

on Sun 26 Feb - 22:00
blackroseheart wrote:Hey Nolan! Thank you for the update. I'm disappointed to hear it ended sadly but it's great that they didn't take the blood-relation cop out.

I just have one question (best to put spoiler warning for others)... Do they still care about each other at the end? Or does one reject the other?

No problem mate! Sadly one rejects the other (but IMO they really loved each other).

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

View user profile

on Mon 27 Feb - 16:12
I'm sorry man, I know how much it hurts. I live in a permanent state of rejection /sigh. You're right in that it's fairly common. I just hope you and your sister can work things out someday, people change, life changes so much as time goes by, one can never be sure of anything.
View user profile

on Mon 27 Feb - 19:52
Yea, it doesn't always work out... I hope you and your sister could at least be close as friends again, if you ever get to that point. And I agree with Nolan, you never know what might happen later in life. The best thing to do now is just try to heal by talking to others like you.

And Nolan, I began watching Taboo last night! It definitely drew me in. I love the acting. I like stories with serious tones and ones that have mystery (almost a fantasy feel) to them, and are set in another time Very Happy Very Happy Also, the woman seems sweet (I remember her from Game of Thrones. lol).
View user profile

on Tue 28 Feb - 14:44
Awesome! Let me know what you think of the show and the consang relationship as you watch the following episodes. Smile
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum