View previous topicGo downView next topic

study show amplification of bad traits, but never of good ones ? SOMETHINGS'S WRONG.

on Mon 6 Mar - 10:42
Has someone read that article http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1504045/pdf/bmjcred00642-0006a.pdf ?
It talks about "Children born as a result of incest", insisting on the increased risks of genetic diseases and ill conditions. As usual. It says "Some lowering of IQ, of less degree, has been found in the offspring of first cousins both from Japan7 and from Arabs in Israel" and "On the present evidence the risks to the children of father-daughter and brother-sister unions, in contrast to those of first-cousin marriages, seem unacceptable"
But what bugs me is does there should be evidences of the contrary too. Goods traits shall be amplified as much as bad ones. Yet, no found only evidences for the difformity thesis.
Does someone eventually know about a study of good traits amplification (like IQ or anything else) in relation to inbreeding/incest ?
View user profile

Re: study show amplification of bad traits, but never of good ones ? SOMETHINGS'S WRONG.

on Mon 6 Mar - 19:24
Yea, I've noticed that too. But that's only apparent in some studies... besides, these people often fail to include other details about family history in general (like, were there other incestuous couples within the same lineage?)...so it's practically useless. Details like that are necessary to really show the finer distinctions.

I have come across articles that do mention positive things.. like how sometimes the offspring could be extra intelligent or live longer (for cousins' offspring). So it really depends on the source and how they did their studies.
View user profile

Re: study show amplification of bad traits, but never of good ones ? SOMETHINGS'S WRONG.

on Mon 6 Mar - 20:13
As for any couplings closer than first cousins, there will always be a lack on info... unless they do a study somewhere where incest is legal and so they could get their hands on more subjects to study, without danger of the law interfering.

on Mon 6 Mar - 21:32
Super ! I would like to read that paper you mention, about the extra-intelligence or superior longevity.
Admin
View user profilehttps://consanguinamory.wordpress.com

on Mon 6 Mar - 23:02
I think it would be interesting to know how this sample was taken, like, were the couples whose children they followed of low IQ to begin with? We just don't know the answer to that, and it's quite likely that two people of low intelligence will produce low intelligence children (whether they're related or not). We don't know whether the sample is biased or not, or what if any measures were taken against sample bias.

Whatever genes are there will be amplified, that will apply to both positive and negative genes.

on Mon 6 Mar - 23:34
But some traits might need diversity of genes to be efficient , more than genes themselves. Like for immunity (at least it was believed so until the latest researches on highly consanguineous mountain gorillas...).
I don't think anything is that simple, in one direction or another, but you're right, odds are that the sample is ridiculously narrow, biaised and unrepresentative. I am quite sure that investigating (taking samples, sequencing them etc) in some modern matriarcal "primitive" societies like the Na( Mosuo ) in Asia or some others in Africa, would grant the required wealth of consanguineous couples for such a study to representative. Incest is legal in China, it would only takes to convince the people that though being a scientist and a Westerner, you are on their side.
It would only take a biologist to go there... Oh ! Lucky me! One more year, and I am already a "biologist". I swear I'll do something about it next years...
Admin
View user profilehttps://consanguinamory.wordpress.com

on Tue 7 Mar - 22:09
Well, when you get to do these studies, I'll be very interested in seeing the results of them. When the time comes keep me posted Smile

on Thu 13 Apr - 16:01
I read that Blue eyes are a result somewere in history were brothers and sisters came togetther
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum