View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

Prince lyrics 'Sister'

on Sun 1 May - 3:21
I have never heard this song by Prince. Apparently it is from Prince's third album 'Dirty Mind' in late 1980.
I looked for it on Youtube though find not see it there. No such luck.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/prince/sister.html

The lyrics mention the word incest once and according to some sites, Prince did some interviews where he said all his work was autobiographical.
The song suggests to me that the relationship was consensual and that the person in the song was only 16 while the sister was 32. ("The average male loses his virginity at age 16.9)"
Sources: Kinsey Institute; California State University

This song was very controversial apparently in its time. Would it still be controversial today? The 10th and 18th lines of the song possibly help explain line 7.
I wonder what other people in this group thought of this song. Has anyone heard it?
This early experience of Prince does not seem to have prevented him pursuing his ambition to achieve wealth and fame.
Line 10 seems to be cleverly oblique.
But line 7 definitely puts the blame for his sexuality ( apparently it was 'wild') on his older sister.

Admin
View user profilehttp://marriage-equality.blogspot.com

Re: Prince lyrics 'Sister'

on Sun 1 May - 6:10
Prince reportedly became very tied into the Warchtower organization (Jehovah's Witnesses) and, as such, might have felt very constrained in discussing consanguinamory further. There are so many songs and movies with hints and outright mentions of the issue. I, too, and curious as to how people perceive Prince's song.
View user profile

on Thu 20 Oct - 14:34
Dirty minds was Prince's 2nd album and because of its racy song titles and lyrics it far outsold his first album "For You" best selling single on that album was titled "Soft and Wet" Being a business man he noticed sex sells.Top singles from the Dirty Minds album Sister I was barly into my teens at the time and my older cousins immediately explained the lyrics were about incest that made the album more attractive to own and play in my bedroom and giggle because my parents had no clue to what was being said. The other single titled "Head" should be self-explanatory but if not the lyrics are about oral sex. Sister, Head, and a song called Little Niki (Masturbation) still receive air play especially on satellite radio.
View user profile

on Thu 20 Oct - 15:57
Really!? I'm a Prince fan but sadly I've never heard Dirty Minds. I must say I'm going to try and find that song and listen to it. I'm intrigued. I'll base my opinion on it after I hear it.
View user profile

on Thu 20 Oct - 16:47
Dirty minds is the title of the album
View user profile

on Thu 20 Oct - 17:08
Thank you

on Sun 19 Mar - 10:41
So basically, he did it out of desire for money, and biggotery along with it ? Fine, I found him glaucus before, now it's a certainty...
I don't know other lyrics that may evoke this issue. Though I am not very knowledgeable in "pop" music, as I prefer classic by far. A time where incest didn't matter that much... The time of Herouard's diary. Maybe that's were Mozart and the like have been drawing their inspiration ?
Ah, no "maybe" here: Mozart did had a "privileged relationship" with his father.
Admin
View user profilehttp://marriage-equality.blogspot.com

on Sun 19 Mar - 14:48
There have definitely been other pop songs, overt and others subtle. I'm struggling to remember one about a real case, but some have said Billy Idol's "White Wedding" is a reference to brother-sister.
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum