Share
Go down
avatar
Member
Member
Posts : 78
Join date : 2017-07-21
Location : Texas, United States
View user profile

What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Sat 23 Dec - 1:14
I think it's fair to say that it's rather unconventional to consider it acceptable for related people to be in romantic/sexual relationships. And it's a view that, I gather, nearly all of us here share. I am curious what other unconventional views we might have.

Here are a couple of mine:

- Since it is known that taller people have shorter average lifespans than shorter people, I suspect that if height were controlled for, men would not be found to have shorter average lifespans than women--men are simply taller on average than women; height would fully explain the difference, or nearly so. But I have yet to hear of a study that controlled for height. (Bonus points if someone can refer me to one.)

- I think that market economics apply to the housing market, that supply of housing in a given area should largely be allowed to meet the demand in that area, and that this would help lower housing prices regionally. Stated another way, I think that sufficient housing should be allowed to built where people want to live, and this would make housing more affordable.
Moderator
Moderator
Posts : 138
Join date : 2016-04-26
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Sat 23 Dec - 5:01
How is #2 unconventional? What you're saying is here is entirely true. The number one reason for expensive housing is land use restrictions. People who live in a particular area work to pass laws and ordinances to limit the building of new homes. Since housing obeys the laws of supply and demand just like everything else, this drives prices through the roof, but only for new buyers. The people who already own homes in the area are locked in. Their property taxes may increase, but their mortgage won't.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/600139305/Land-restrictions-cause-home-prices-to-jump.html

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts : 1104
Join date : 2017-12-02
Location : North of Regular, south of Consang
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Sat 23 Dec - 11:44
I'll try for one that is not going to hit anyone's hot buttons. Air conditioning is making people fatter by fooling their bodies into thinking that winter is always coming and they need to stock up on food.

UN
avatar
Member
Member
Posts : 78
Join date : 2017-07-21
Location : Texas, United States
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Sat 23 Dec - 17:50
OtherHans wrote:How is #2 unconventional?

Yes, unlike my #1, this is something that has been studied and shown to be true. I agree with everything you say.

Maybe I was wrong to call this view unconventional. Maybe those who share my view simply treat development as a given that is not worthy of comment, because of course we need to build stuff to accommodate everyone who wants to live here. Most comments I hear about development and construction, however, are opposed to it, irrespective of its form and location. It certainly seems like a lot of people think we should halt construction and prevent any more people from moving here, which does work, but they don't seem to be aware that the mechanism by which it works is skyrocketing prices till people can't afford to live here.

Which really doesn't make sense considering that much of the reason Texas is inundated by so much growth is that housing costs are so absurd in California that we and the inland western U.S. get the "spillover". Really, we need some policy at the national level to keep California from doing this to us. /rant.

As an aside, I was very anti-development where I grew up, just beyond the northeastern suburbs of Baltimore. "Bedroom" development was exploding in much of my county even though there was lots of developable land closer to Baltimore, not to mention a huge overabundance of abandoned housing within Baltimore. Admittedly, crime is a legitimate concern in Baltimore. But even places like my hometown should have experienced more development because of abutting the military base. But, alas, the people who work on the base and in Baltimore, want to live somewhere that there aren't so many black people and poor people. Evil or Very Mad
avatar
Admin
Admin
Posts : 1040
Join date : 2016-05-21
Location : is a secret
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Sat 23 Dec - 21:35
If you feel developers don't care about discussing your second point JS, I can see why you'd say it's unconventional. I'm not sure what pros & cons there are. Your first point though, it's interesting. Maybe you could submit it to someone for a study? I don't know any to refer you to.
Hot buttons. That's up to you unowen, though personally it doesn't feel like air conditioning's doing that. Wouldn't people in temperate places have similar effects?
My unconventional views. I'm not sure? It's hard for me choosing a view as 'mine'.
avatar
Member
Member
Posts : 56
Join date : 2017-08-24
Age : 57
Location : Undisclosed
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Sun 24 Dec - 0:08
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
OK, here goes. And I'm just getting started.
- I'm an anarchist. There's no government like no government. Violence and coercion do not become morally legitimate just because the thugs are wearing police uniforms.
- I'm a pacifist. Shooting and starving people and stealing their resources does not become morally legitimate because some general orders you to do it.
- I'm a permaculturist. We should be building local, resilient, just, sustainable economic systems to supplant the capitalist industrial system that is destroying the planet.
- Open borders for everyone. It is reprehensible that people get thrown in detention centres for crossing an imaginary line. Particularly when they're fleeing violence in their home countries.
- Abolish prisons, the criminal justice system, and rethink the whole ideology of punishment. Move to a restorative justice model.
avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts : 1104
Join date : 2017-12-02
Location : North of Regular, south of Consang
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Sun 24 Dec - 0:14
Will, I think you just won this thing. Smile

UN
avatar
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts : 49
Join date : 2017-12-08
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Sun 24 Dec - 0:30
I can't really argue with any of that, Will. One of the societies in the last sci-fi novel I started writing (but ultimately scrapped, like all the rest) looked a lot like that.

With the added idea that nobody could "own" land.
Member
Member
Posts : 69
Join date : 2016-09-30
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Wed 27 Dec - 4:20
Pineapple on pizza is a crime against humanity. The end
avatar
Member
Member
Posts : 81
Join date : 2016-04-14
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Wed 27 Dec - 8:02
J.S. Money wrote:

- Since it is known that taller people have shorter average lifespans than shorter people, I suspect that if height were controlled for, men would not be found to have shorter average lifespans than women--men are simply taller on average than women; height would fully explain the difference, or nearly so. But I have yet to hear of a study that controlled for height. (Bonus points if someone can refer me to one.)


Thats great news for us, both of us are only 5 feet tall. as for unconventional views we hold well we seem to be the only people that liked ghostbusters 3
avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts : 1104
Join date : 2017-12-02
Location : North of Regular, south of Consang
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Wed 27 Dec - 9:21
nenuser1223 wrote:as for unconventional views we hold well we seem to be the only people that liked ghostbusters 3
*gasp* Smile

UN
avatar
Admin
Admin
Posts : 1040
Join date : 2016-05-21
Location : is a secret
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Wed 27 Dec - 20:23
I haven't seen Ghostbusters 3, but maybe I should.
Regarding politics, sociocracy interests me. I don't feel it'd be practical, currently, but maybe someday we could try it.
avatar
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts : 48
Join date : 2017-12-25
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Mon 1 Jan - 12:57
I believe alien life exists. I think it’s impossible that ours is the only planet with life in an infinite universe.

I believe in psychic abilities but I think “professional” psychics are con artists.

I think the world would be a better place without religion. More people have been killed in the name of god than for any other reason. If we weren’t so divided by invisible beings maybe we would figure out that we’re all in this together.

I love nudism and the whole naturist lifestyle. My ideal society would be fully nude (I will make an exception for when it’s necessary to keep warm). I think the world would be a better place in every way if everyone was naked. I think people would be kinder and more accepting of each other. Most importantly, I believe that family nudism would open more hearts and minds to consensual incest among adults. This is another one of those topics I could rant on and on about forever.

Despite being crazy about nudism, I still love shopping and I own an insane amount of clothing. I also love cosplay, mostly involving corsets and Victorian fashion. I often incorporate Victorian style into my daily dress.

I am pansexual, which is broader than bisexual and includes transgender.

I love Hawaiian pizza, including the pineapples.
avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts : 1104
Join date : 2017-12-02
Location : North of Regular, south of Consang
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Mon 1 Jan - 13:08
taboo_temptress wrote:I believe alien life exists. I think it’s impossible that ours is the only planet with life in an infinite universe.

The universe isn't infinite (it's only fourteen billion light-years across) but I agree that there is probably alien life somewhere. It could be microbes. The really puzzling thing is abiogenesis -- how life originated from nonliving molecules. And why evolution works as fast as it does.

taboo_temptress wrote:I think the world would be a better place without religion. More people have been killed in the name of god than for any other reason. If we weren’t so divided by invisible beings maybe we would figure out that we’re all in this together.

You're talking about religiosity, not faith, there. Religiosity is faith in God as perverted by humans.

Faith is necessary. It's possible to prove, through hard-core mathematics, that there are truths that can never be proven. For those, only faith suffices.

And now we come to the really controversial statement:

taboo_temptress wrote:I love Hawaiian pizza, including the pineapples.

I like anchovies on pizza. Also in pasta puttanesca. I have never met another human being who does.

UN
avatar
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts : 48
Join date : 2017-12-25
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Mon 1 Jan - 13:33
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Anchovies are quite offensive! Shocked  Laughing
avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts : 1104
Join date : 2017-12-02
Location : North of Regular, south of Consang
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Mon 1 Jan - 13:43
taboo_temptress wrote:Anchovies are quite offensive! Shocked  Laughing

So you're a Regular on the 'chovy spectrum? Wink

UN
avatar
Admin
Admin
Posts : 1040
Join date : 2016-05-21
Location : is a secret
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Tue 2 Jan - 3:12
I may be mistaken, but it's my understanding our universe isn't fourteen billion lightyears across. It's currently estimated at fourteen billion years old, which would give us it's radius in lightyears. But, space itself is also expanding, so what we see as (approximately!) 1.4E9 lightyears away has expanded to a little under 5E10 lightyears away - but because it emitted light when it was closer, we still see it. So while our observable universe's radius is 1.4E9 lightyears, we know it's bigger. This describes our observational limits; our universe is larger than we observe.
Hope this isn't too bothersome! ...space stuff is a hobby of mine ^_^

Religion. It's different for everyone. I agree with unowen, though it feels very complicated. Isn't it usually?
I don't think I've ever had anchovies, or pasta puttanesca... what are they like?
avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts : 1104
Join date : 2017-12-02
Location : North of Regular, south of Consang
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Tue 2 Jan - 3:22
sleepingrain wrote:I may be mistaken, but it's my understanding our universe isn't fourteen billion lightyears across. It's currently estimated at fourteen billion years old, which would give us it's radius in lightyears. But, space itself is also expanding, so what we see as (approximately!) 1.4E9 lightyears away has expanded to a little under 5E10 lightyears away - but because it emitted light when it was closer, we still see it. So while our observable universe's radius is 1.4E9 lightyears, we know it's bigger. This describes our observational limits; our universe is larger than we observe.
Hope this isn't too bothersome! ...space stuff is a hobby of mine ^_^
Sleepy, ya got me. Smile Are you talking about the inflationary epoch or something different?

sleepingrain wrote:I don't think I've ever had anchovies, or pasta puttanesca... what are they like?

Intensely salty and intensely fishy. Get a pizza with half anchovies sometime.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pasta-puttanesca-242590

UN
avatar
Admin
Admin
Posts : 1040
Join date : 2016-05-21
Location : is a secret
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Tue 2 Jan - 3:57
Inflationary epoch... I think? like, the universe's initial growth, things were much closer. And also because the universe is still expanding, so galaxies are still moving further away, even though we see their old location.
Intensely salty & fishy. Well, maybe you're right, perhaps sometime I will. It's nice trying new things.
But that's a topic for another thread
avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts : 1104
Join date : 2017-12-02
Location : North of Regular, south of Consang
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Tue 2 Jan - 10:30
I don’t pretend to understand the physics, but the wonks who do think there was a time, between 10E-33 and 10E-32 seconds after the Big Bang, when space expanded much faster than the speed of light and faster than matter and energy could catch up. That’s called “inflation” and the time when it happened was the Inflationary Epoch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflationary_epoch

Sure, let’s start a Cosmology and Anchovies thread. We’d need an “off-OFF-topic” section for that. Smile

UN


Last edited by Unowen17 on Tue 2 Jan - 19:20; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Member
Member
Posts : 56
Join date : 2017-08-24
Age : 57
Location : Undisclosed
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Tue 2 Jan - 19:20
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
I say: full pizza equality for anchovies! And viva puttanesca!
avatar
Admin
Admin
Posts : 1383
Join date : 2016-04-14
Location : UK
View user profilehttps://consanguinamory.wordpress.com

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Wed 3 Jan - 1:44
On the Universe thing, The VISIBLE PORTION of the universe is 14 billion lightyears across because the universe is 14 billion years old (seeing as a lightyear is defined as the distance travelled by light in one year). The edge of the visible universe looks to us as it did 14 billion years ago, to look further into space is to look back in time (for instance, if you look at the sun, we're seeing it as it was about eight minutes ago). We can't see further away than 14 billion light years because it would require us to be seeing or otherwise detecting photons that did not yet exist (and even if they did, they would have been so far away that they couldn't have reached us yet). But remember, just because we can't see further doesn't mean that there isn't stuff further away, it's just impossible to view without breaking the laws of physics... in other words, the speed of light would need to be even faster if we were to see further, but that would not solve the problem because it would move the 'horizon' further away, it wouldn't get rid of it. In order to see everything that exists, the speed of light would have to be infinity. So currently there is no way of knowing how big the universe is, but we do know that it's pretty damn big. Even within the 'visible universe' some of the galaxies are moving away from us so fast that they're only visible when we compensate for the doppler effect (red shift).

On Aliens, they MUST exist. Life exists anywhere it can on Earth, why should we assume it to be different elsewhere? It need not necessarily be humanoids, or even carbon based. Life most likely adapts to the environment it exists in (just as it does here, by evolution). Why do we assume all living creatures would need planets to live on anyway? There could well be intelligent space dwelling organisms which feed off the energy given off by stars... which would be nothing like us. There could be forms of life which do not require an atmosphere, or are able to withstand extreme heat or cold, or extremely high or low pressures and gravitational fields. Just because life on this planet cannot survive such conditions does not mean that it can't exist someplace else. Who is to say that water is necessarily needed, for all we know there might be life forms living in extremely cold places which use liquid methane in the same way we use water. What I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't think that all other life, intelligent life or otherwise in the universe will take on a similar form to ourselves or have similar requirements for their sustenance, that may not be the case at all. I think that there are SOME aliens which take on a similar form to ourselves, most notably the greys (sometimes called Reticuli), just not ALL aliens.

Member
Member
Posts : 72
Join date : 2016-11-18
Age : 52
Location : Wisconsin
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Thu 4 Jan - 16:33
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Whether its pizza or personal relationships, eat what you like!
avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts : 1104
Join date : 2017-12-02
Location : North of Regular, south of Consang
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Thu 4 Jan - 16:51
Rick Fortune wrote:Whether its pizza or personal relationships, eat what you like!

But if the latter, don’t kill what you eat! It just isn’t polite. Smile

UN
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts : 25
Join date : 2016-04-29
View user profile

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

on Fri 5 Jan - 1:50
I don't care for the film Lawrence of Arabia. I think it's visually spectacular, and the music is glorious but really it's about a man doing strange things for non-obvious reasons and everyone's motivations are cloudy.

There. I said it.

Oh, and Richard III was a bog-standard medieval king.
Sponsored content

Re: What other "unconventional" views do you have?

Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum