Go down
View user profile

Re: Latest school shooting.

on Tue 20 Feb - 22:31
Jane Doe wrote:Rain, you've got a good point there about choice. Like I said, removing the guns by force would not prevent violence as a whole (and wouldn't actually stop gun crime altogether it would only push it more underground). In an ideal world nobody would want to use a gun for anything other than target shooting, but unfortunately the world we live in isn't ideal. The best that can be done really is keeping guns away from people who are a danger to themselves and others, probably easier said than done. The only thing that's going to prevent violence as a whole would be people choosing not to use violence. I can't see that happening any time soon though, it's a rather unpleasant side of human nature.

We also have to remember that some people carry weapons because they're afraid, they feel that they need it in order to feel safe. That's pretty sad actually if people live in places which are really that dangerous. It means that the police aren't doing their job properly in those areas.

Why do you think American culture is so violent compared to say Japan where it's not at all violent? I've heard people blame video games and violent media but Japan is rife with violent video games and ultra violent movies and shows and they aren't out there slaughtering each other.
Admin
Admin
View user profilehttps://consanguinamory.wordpress.com

on Tue 20 Feb - 23:45
It might be a cultural difference, but it could also be a difference in how the countries are policed, it could be the way children are educated. There is a lot of things which could cause the difference. Maybe poverty could be an issue, people getting involved with drug gangs and the like to try and make money when jobs are scarce. I does make me wonder, whether Japan offers a more comfortable standard of living and so less people get involved with gangs? It's just a thought.

I wouldn't say video games are the issue (if they were, Japan would be rife with it), but at the same time I don't think little ones playing violent games is a good thing, to be honest I don't know why any adult would want to play those sort of games either... what happened to a good old fashioned afternoon playing something nice, like Mario or Sonic? Personally, I don't own anything more violent than the Legend of Zelda, and I don't do horror or war films either because I hate violence, I'm more drawn to watching a good sci-fi or comedy.
View user profile

on Wed 21 Feb - 1:39
Jane Doe wrote:It might be a cultural difference, but it could also be a difference in how the countries are policed, it could be the way children are educated. There is a lot of things which could cause the difference. Maybe poverty could be an issue, people getting involved with drug gangs and the like to try and make money when jobs are scarce. I does make me wonder, whether Japan offers a more comfortable standard of living and so less people get involved with gangs? It's just a thought.

I wouldn't say video games are the issue (if they were, Japan would be rife with it), but at the same time I don't think little ones playing violent games is a good thing, to be honest I don't know why any adult would want to play those sort of games either... what happened to a good old fashioned afternoon playing something nice, like Mario or Sonic? Personally, I don't own anything more violent than the Legend of Zelda, and I don't do horror or war films either because I hate violence, I'm more drawn to watching a good sci-fi or comedy.
Well... I think you know I'm not afraid of violence lol Neutral I'm really boyish in that regard.
Admin
Admin
View user profile

on Wed 21 Feb - 20:43
Well, I've heard gun violence is higher in the US's red states. Normally, we could say that's because they're more relaxed on firearms laws, but there's blue states with relaxed laws too; the violence isn't higher there. There's also red states with restrictions, which haven't helped. If this is true, I wonder how it compares with other countries. Or if people know more about this, I wouldn't mind hearing.
For reference, the US's red states are 'conservative', Blue states are 'progressive'.
Also, picking political fights isn't my intention! both sides have their pros & cons, regardless of their country. Furthermore, correlation doesn't equal causation; it's just worth looking in to. Sometimes there's confounding variables, other times there's some kind of causal link. Maybe not directly either.
View user profile

on Fri 23 Feb - 22:04
For those of you jot following. There wee actually 4 Sheriffs deputies outside the school when it took place and they did nothing

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-florida-shooting-sro-20180222-story.html

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/politics/parkland-school-shooting-broward-deputies/index.html

It boggles he mind how the police can so thoroughly fail to do their job. I don't know if the police force have a crime similar to the military's dereliction of duty but I think they should be criminally charged for this. I'm outraged and out for blood.
View user profile

on Sat 24 Feb - 0:44
That. Ain’t. Right.

A whole lot of authorities should have done something and didn’t.

UN

Admin
View user profilehttps://consanguinamory.wordpress.com

on Sat 24 Feb - 2:15
That is fucked up! You're right, they should be charged for that.
View user profile

on Sat 24 Feb - 2:30
Jane Doe wrote:That is fucked up! You're right, they should be charged for that.
i dont know if it's actually a crime
Admin
Admin
View user profile

on Sat 24 Feb - 19:19
I think it might be? maybe it varies from state to state.
View user profile

on Sat 24 Feb - 19:26
They could probably be charged with malfeasance. Maybe other things.

UN

View user profile

on Thu 1 Mar - 23:02
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
I know the topic died down a bit, but I was away for a couple weeks due to my job. For those who do not know me, I am in the US military. I wanted to go ahead and give my thoughts on a couple things mentioned in this thread.

First, on the topic of japan and their culture. I love japan, and their culture. One of my favorite reasons for that is their sense of family. They are raised to care about each other and treat others like family, and to treat their own family even better than that. As far as reasons crime is so low in japan, there are a few reasons. Japan is rather small, with lots of people packed into one area. Because of this, they have police boxes doted around that are easy to walk to. Police also constantly patrol their area, making for a strong sense of security by the general public. While there are other factors, these 2 reasons of both respect and security cause japan to have few issues with crime. While it has little to do with guns, I also felt like pointing out that consenting adults are also legal in japan because the Japanese have a culture around exploring sexuality.

As for guns, I grew up in a bit of rural area so my parents owned some rifles for self defense. I know rifles are used for hunting and sport, but I also know how dangerous they are from handling some in the military. Granted, my experience has been with guns like the M4, which has fully auto capabilities that nobody uses because it's a quick way to waste ammo and has low accuracy. Fully auto is basically for some kind of emergency in case you some how need it, but from my training where we shoot using semi auto; I know anyone properly trained to use a semi auto rifle can do a lot of damage from a good distance. While I also know anyone trained with a handgun can also do a lot, I know the bullets themselves aren't as devastating compared to the rifles. As also mentioned, a gun isn't even needed to cause vast destruction. Anyone smart enough to make bombs could end up doing worse. Overall I think it's pointless to look at guns to try and fix this issue. I feel our culture and sense of family are the keys to creating a better and safer world. I keep hope that more and more people understand the importance of family, and am happy knowing everyone here understands that and more.

I'll let this speak for itself

on Fri 2 Mar - 2:14
Admin
Admin
View user profile

on Sat 3 Mar - 0:25
Interesting posts FS1970 & Tony, thank you very much for sharing your thoughts!
it's a whole ugly nasty business.
View user profile

on Sat 3 Mar - 13:05
Regarding the deputy, I wouldn't want to see anything happen to him. A service pistol is surely no match for an assault rifle. In situations like these,I believe they are supposed to wait for back up.

I think we should put a stop to the National Guard being mobilized and sent as reserve forced to wars. Then, start posting them - on either a rotating schedule, or a volunteer basis - at schools.

Guard duty. Two per school, a small squad on reserve in every district to provide backup if an active shooter situation presents.

While we are at it, get the police out of schools. Police in schools are just another pipeline for turning the poor into convicts. The school resource officer I work with brags about how he could beat the hell out of our students and get away with it. @&$# that.
Admin
Admin
View user profile

on Sat 3 Mar - 17:50
From my experience, military attracts different people than law enforcement. They both have their good & bad, but they manifest differently. Magick, the resource officer you work with doesn't sound very professional. Like somebody saying "just give me a reason".
Though also, a problem is people don't know each other. It's easier for people to cause grief (intentionally or not) when they're not a familiar face, nobody they'll see again, with a life they don't know about.
View user profile

on Sat 3 Mar - 18:07
Bloodsexsugarmagick wrote:Regarding the deputy, I wouldn't want to see anything happen to him. A service pistol is surely no match for an assault rifle. In situations like these,I believe they are supposed to wait for back up.

I think we should put a stop to the National Guard being mobilized and sent as reserve forced to wars. Then, start posting them - on either a rotating schedule, or a volunteer basis - at schools.

Guard duty. Two per school, a small squad on reserve in every district to provide backup if an active shooter situation presents.

While we are at it, get the police out of schools. Police in schools are just another pipeline for turning the poor into convicts. The school resource officer I work with brags about how he could beat the hell out of our students and get away with it. @&$# that.
waiting for backup was the policy until columbine. After columbine the policy is to go and not wait. The Sherriff and other law enfrocement agencies in florida are not pleased with the 4 deputies who did not enter. Most Sheriffs deputies in broward have ar 15s in their cars and they have bullet proof vests. He should have gone in.
View user profile

on Sat 3 Mar - 18:40
Someone was coordinating the response. Whoever it was gave the order to stage but failed to give the order to enter. That’s where I’d look first.

CelesChere wrote:waiting for backup was the policy until columbine. After columbine the policy is to go and not wait.

In that case, there’s a bad failure of leadership, either in training or in execution. I can imagine why the sheriff isn’t pleased. It’s his career on the line, maybe deservedly so.

UN

Admin
View user profile

on Sat 3 Mar - 19:07
Maybe I'm mistaken, but didn't the shooter have an AR-15 as well? that's not saying they shouldn't have gone inside, but most police wear soft body armour. If my ballistics aren't wrong, that affords very little protection from rifle cartridges, steel-cored or not.
If they carried hard body armour, that's another story entirely.
View user profile

on Wed 21 Mar - 9:23
i had a long post written up, but just before i posted it, my computer completely froze. ill probably calm down from my irritation later and post the whole thing back up again, but essentially, my thoughts come down to this:

fatherlessness is probably the biggest correlation i have seen when it comes to violence. look up the statistics on it... its pretty dismal. with the divorce rate going up, its likely to get worse. as it is, fathers in america only get custody of their kids about 20% of the time when couples divorce. and single mothers are already raising about a third of the next generation, so its probably going to get worse before it gets better.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum