Kindred Spirits
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
AbeSarah
AbeSarah
Star Member
Star Member
http://droitslesciao.forumactif.com/

2023 - 2023 Human Rights Conference Empty 2023 Human Rights Conference

Mon 21 Feb 2022 - 0:03
Anna Brown.
CEO, Equality Australia sent an invitation to us for the 2023 Human Rights Conference

Headed : Introducing the Human Rights Conference at Sydney WorldPride 2023

Anna said "

We're excited to announce that Equality Australia is the lead community partner for the Sydney WorldPride 2023 Human Rights Conference, to be held from the 1st-3rd of March 2023.

The Human Rights Conference will shine a spotlight on global, regional and domestic human rights issues facing people based on their sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, and variations in sex characteristics.

This will be the first WorldPride festival to be held in the Asia-Pacific, and we are excited to bring you a conference that reflects the diversity of our region.

It's an incredible opportunity to come together and build a world in which all of us are free and equal, no matter who we are or whom we love.

We want to hear from you about what would make the Human Rights Conference engaging and empowering for you and our communities, including suggested themes, speakers and overall conference experience.

Not in Sydney? We'd still love to hear from you! You will be able to view and interact with the Human Rights Conference no matter where you are in the world in 2023.
Have your say!

(link to survey)
https://sydneyworldpride.com/the-human-rights-conference/about-the-human-rights-conference/

We'll keep you updated on preparations for the Human Rights Conference as it approaches.

If the

Thank you for being a part of it.

Best,

If you look at the introduction to the survey it says "Sydney WorldPride is working with several community partners to help ensure that the diversity of the LGBTQIA+ communities is reflected at the conference.

The Community Partners will listen and engage with national and international LGBTQIA+ community organisations to ensure the content of the SWP 2023 Human Rights Conference reflects key issues of concern and that the conference provides a space to progress work that produces meaningful next steps in the fight for equality. 

We want to hear from you about what would make the Human Rights Conference engaging and empowering for you and our communities, including the suggested themes, speakers and experience."

I hope many of you will do the survey and let them know that we are here, we want to be included not excluded from human rights and that what we want our voices to be heard.

Cheers

FullMarriageEquality, Unowen17, Simo Olmstead Mossman and KittyCat like this post

KittyCat
KittyCat

2023 - 2023 Human Rights Conference Empty Re: 2023 Human Rights Conference

Fri 3 Jun 2022 - 3:38
Wish I'd been here a couple of months earlier to be aware of this, as submissions are closed now. Hmm... Next year... Maybe I should keep an eye on this! Smile

Unowen17 likes this post

AbeSarah
AbeSarah
Star Member
Star Member

Sat 4 Jun 2022 - 10:05
Anna Brown...l wonder if she would support us? She seems like a nice, sincere person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Brown_(lawyer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCBTfkmYV-M

(Anna Brown OAM: The Fight for LGBTQI+ )
KittyCat
KittyCat

Sat 4 Jun 2022 - 10:44
AbeSarah wrote:Anna Brown...l wonder if she would support us? She seems like a nice, sincere person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Brown_(lawyer)

I wonder how one would go about getting to chat with her privately. I'd be up for taking on that conversation. Smile
Corny Tyrannosaurus
Corny Tyrannosaurus
https://cornytyrannosaurus.tumblr.com/

Mon 6 Jun 2022 - 21:48
As far as I understand, Australia doesn't engage in criminal persecussion of consangs, right?
KittyCat
KittyCat

Mon 6 Jun 2022 - 23:58
Corny Tyrannosaurus wrote:As far as I understand, Australia doesn't engage in criminal persecussion of consangs, right?
Incorrect. While few get reported and prosecutions are relatively rare, the illegality is still there and it does happen, with jail time for all involved. All states have laws that make sexual acts between direct blood relations illegal and most go significantly further, banning similar non-blood related relationships as well. Queensland law even (partially) prohibits relationships between first cousins, which no other state does, and first cousins can legally marry under federal law.

Unowen17 likes this post

AbeSarah
AbeSarah
Star Member
Star Member

Tue 7 Jun 2022 - 6:07
Re Anna Brown,

Having just written her again ( at info@equalityaustralia.org.au ) I hope she'll contact me this time.
The first time I just got an email form letter inviting me to the 2023 conference. She has my numbers now.

I have not heard of any High Court challenges to incest cases in Australia.(yet). Perhaps there was one already and it failed??

https://www.hcourt.gov.au/about/operation-of-the-high-court

As Kitty (and Wiki) said, federal law (ACI not criminal) is supposed to prevail, "There is no automatic right to have an appeal heard by the High Court and parties who wish to appeal must persuade the Court in a preliminary hearing that there are special reasons to cause the appeal to be heard. Decisions of the High Court on appeals are final. There are no further appeals once a matter has been decided by the High Court, and the decision is binding on all other courts throughout Australia."

As in the USA, the High Court here may be 'stacked' by politicians so that conservatives outnumber the progressives.

See what happens to mildly progressive judges..https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/11/attorney-general-hits-out-at-nsw-judge-over-controversial-incest-remarks

The NSW Attorney General in 2014 Brad Hazzard was a Liberal Party appointee.
"In August 2019, Brad Hazzard came out in support of removing abortion as a criminal offence (after 119 years within the NSW Crimes Act 1900 section(s) 82–84)[23] via a bill he co-sponsored with 14 others of all different political parties and independents.[24][25] The bill passed the parliament on 26 September 2019. Hazzard also supported proposals to ban the controversial practice of conversion therapy at a state and national level, however, as of August 2019 a bill had not yet been introduced.[26]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Hazzard#Personal_life

(kind of embarrassing that a Catholic County like Ireland legalized abortion before us. "Health (Regulation of Termination of Pregnancy) Act 2018
It was signed by the President of Ireland on 20 December 2018, after being approved by both Houses of the Oireachtas, legalising abortion in Ireland. Abortion services commenced on 1 January 2019.

KittyCat likes this post

KittyCat
KittyCat

Tue 7 Jun 2022 - 7:03
I haven't been "current" on popular press for a long time, and I was really saddened to read about the response to Judge Garry Neilson's comments. I don't know the details of the case they were made on but it does seem they were wildly misinterpreted by a bunch of wowsers that insist rape and incest are the same thing.

I feel that there needs to be movement at the political level rather than just the legal level to separate these issues and emphasise the *right* of adults to *consent* and the situations in which their consent is by law ignored.

That there are laws in which attested mutual consent of all parties is explicitly not a valid defence in this day and age is to me truly mind-boggling.

AbeSarah likes this post

AbeSarah
AbeSarah
Star Member
Star Member

Tue 7 Jun 2022 - 23:23
Good idea Kittycat. Do you have anything specifically in mind?

While I am here, some random thoughts.

We are apparently about 2-3% of the population, but quite invisible, even to each other. Most CIAOs / consangs seem quite happy to keep a low profile and just get on and make the best of the system as it is working now. Perhaps they know there are quite a lot of incestophobes out there who are also psychopaths likely to use any 'provocation' as an excuse to get mad and violent towards any of us silly enough to stick our necks out.

Here's an example of peaceful, non-violent protest.
"What was the purpose of the Aboriginal tent embassy?
The Aboriginal Tent Embassy was set up by Aboriginal activists on the lawns opposite Parliament House in 1972 to protest the Government's refusal to acknowledge Aboriginal land rights
What was the outcome of the Aboriginal tent embassy?
On 20 July 1972, by order of the government, 150 Australian Federal Police evicted the diplomatic staff and pro-landrights protestors, arrested eight people and removed the Tent Embassy by force. The violent eviction was followed by large-scale protests"
(That was before mobile phones and Youtube).

Stirring 'the masses' up from their apathy into political participation might take some imagination, a lot of hard work and self discipline though. Also a big lump of money to bribe politicians and journalists might come in handy.
The high command at KS have probably already talked over all these things on 'Wire' and they are sure to be following the Strategic Plan or something like it. Building a social movement takes time and patience, energy.

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/how-to-start-a-movement
KittyCat
KittyCat

Wed 8 Jun 2022 - 0:51
AbeSarah wrote:Good idea Kittycat. Do you have anything specifically in mind?

I was actually considering maybe booking face-to-face meetings with some politicians (NSW would be my initial focus) and talking with them on a personal level about the various reasons the current laws are bad. I don't know which ones might be more productive though.

AbeSarah wrote:We are apparently about 2-3% of the population, but quite invisible, even to each other. Most CIAOs / consangs seem quite happy to keep a low profile and just get on and make the best of the system as it is working now. Perhaps they know there are quite a lot of incestophobes out there who are also psychopaths likely to use any 'provocation' as an excuse to get mad and violent towards any of us silly enough to stick our necks out.

I would be interested to have links to data I could reference for that, because even 2% is a relatively big portion of population, and if this were one day made a political issue is in the realm of changing poll results. This adds political clout to a social and legal argument.
I don't think we're ready to MAKE it a political issue (and win) yet, but I want to help get us there.

AbeSarah wrote:The high command at KS have probably already talked over all these things on 'Wire' and they are sure to be following the Strategic Plan or something like it.

I've asked for an invite to their group but it hasn't been forthcoming yet. I'm probably too "new" to be trusted just yet. If this is the reason then I understand completely. It pays to be cautious when you're a marginalised group fighting criminalisation.

Great list!
As a community I feel like we're solidly on step 4, but personally I still feel at the end of step 2 getting started on step 3.
I need to build better links with other activists: to find more who are local, to understand global feeling and actions, and to better brainstorm and sanity check ideas and strategy.
AbeSarah
AbeSarah
Star Member
Star Member

Thu 9 Jun 2022 - 11:35
Hi Kittcat.

A Friend suggested I start a 'Getup' campaign and I looked up their site. Might I suggest you read some of their advice.
I read it and it is pretty good. I have already done a change.org petition for most states, but few signed and I made few contacts.
Getup suggests getting media attention first so politicians have some motivation to meet you to discuss your complaint. (Getup suggest a 'stunt' like calling supporters (avec banners and placards) and local media to a presentation of the your petition. Just have a small target. (so even if the petition is not accepted and the Polly snubs you, there is still the opportunity to make a speech, have a photo op, and meet some new friends/ supporters. Then, with team, you can multiply your effectiveness.
Anyway it seems to become a complicated process of learning as you go, slowly raising awareness and knowledge. Of course you don't want go to fast and have one of those January 6 moments.;-) Balance is good.

The French petition is going to have to be presented again, this time with some local supporters and some media there. But we need local people living there to be more involved. Someone has volunteered to deliver it, but others need to know when and where, including media people. So there is more to learn and do. Best of luck with your activities!

KittyCat likes this post

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum