Go down
View user profile

Scariest thing that's ever happened to you?

on Sat 24 Feb - 2:41
I've had a couple scary things but one stands out most in my mind as its probably the closest I've ever come to death

I was 13 and I was in an elevator when the cable either broke or slipped not sure which.

I was going from the 1st to the 3rd floor after passing the second floor I heard a loud groan and then a shudder. There was a fraction of a second of free fall and my feet left the elevator floor for only a millimeter. Then another loud groan and another shudder (this must have been when the safeties engaged) And it stopped. I was stuck in there for about 10-15 minutes before the fire department came and pried open the doors and got me out. When I was rescued I was in between the basement and the 1st floor. I had fallen nearly 2 stories.

To this day elevators make me nervous even though I know from experience the safeties will prevent you from becoming paste. I also sort of laugh anytime I see a movie where the elevator cable breaks and people plummet to their deaths. LOL no they have safeties to stop that from happening.
View user profile

Re: Scariest thing that's ever happened to you?

on Sat 24 Feb - 3:27
Oh, I dunno... spinning out in a car on ice at 50 MPH and winding up tail-end first on the highway... mistakenly going into a bad neighborhood and seeing a gang size me up for attack... crashing into a car on a bike and getting knocked unconscious and breaking several teeth... setting my hand on fire playing with gasoline when I was a kid... stepping over a rattlesnake who was between me and where I wanted to go... skiing down an icy hill when one mistake would have resulted in a nasty fall and a bunch of broken bones... crossing my eleventh-grade chem teacher... Smile

Best,
UN

View user profile

on Sat 24 Feb - 4:14
Unowen17 wrote:Oh, I dunno... spinning out in a car on ice at 50 MPH and winding up tail-end first on the highway... mistakenly going into a bad neighborhood and seeing a gang size me up for attack... crashing into a car on a bike and getting knocked unconscious and breaking several teeth... setting my hand on fire playing with gasoline when I was a kid... stepping over a rattlesnake who was between me and where I wanted to go... skiing down an icy hill when one mistake would have resulted in a nasty fall and a bunch of broken bones... crossing my eleventh-grade chem teacher... Smile

Best,
UN

Sounds like you have been through a lot!

mistakenly going into a bad neighborhood and seeing a gang size me up for attack
This reminds me of something that happened to my dad. A month after 9/11 my dad was going to someones birthday party at a bar in the mission district in SF. There were protests happening because of the lead up to the Afghan war and Mission street was choked with people. Dad had to duck into a side alley to get to where he was going. A dude came up to him and offered to sell him weed and dad said he wasn't interested. The guy said he really had to see this stuff and dad replied he really didn't. The guy got in front of dad and partially pulled out a handgun only the grip was visible and the guy said he really had to see it. The guy told him to give him the slowly and not to make a scene. My dad being my dad sized him up. He told me what went through his head in the seconds he had. As you know my dad can handle himself and he thought, Ive only seen the grip it could be just a bb gun an airsoft pistol or a toy, if it is real usually 1 in 10 of these are actually loaded, I may be able to rush him and take him down before he gets a shot off. he said he then looked down the alley and counted 11 other people "Also wearing blue" He wasn't sure but he didn't want to take the chance they were all affiliated with the same gang. My dad took out his wallet and handed him the cash. the guy said he felt bad for mugging my dad and he wanted to gie my dad an eight of weed. My dad was instantly suspicious he wasn't carrying a lot of cash and what he gave him wasn't worth an eighth and he wanted him to go around the corner with him. Dad wasn't going anywhere with him and he told him so. The guy became irritated and insisted and dad agreed. As soon as the guy walked past my dad and had his back turned to him my dad took off running in the other direction. To this day he swears that it was very likely a gang initiation and he probably would have been jumped and beaten or killed if he had gone around the corner with the guy.
View user profile

on Sat 24 Feb - 7:31
CelesChere wrote:Sounds like you have been through a lot!

Probably no more than most people. I just know how to make it sound good. Smile The gang was pretty far away. The snake was a little one and he wasn’t being aggressive, just having himself a good bask, and I gave him plenty of room to slither away, which he did. The bike crash was my own fault because I wasn’t looking where I was going. And my chem teacher wasn’t scary once you got to know him.

CelesChere wrote:As soon as the guy walked past my dad and had his back turned to him my dad took off running in the other direction.

I’ve seen that called the Receding Foot Kata. Smile

Best,
UN

View user profile

on Sat 24 Feb - 12:26
As soon as the guy walked past my dad and had his back turned to him my dad took off running in the other direction.

I’ve seen that called the Receding Foot Kata. Smile

Best,
UN

While i know this is supposed to be a joke it is a thing in kenpo and its part of the purpose of the reverse bow stance. Both kenpo amd jiu jitsu teach you to try and escape first if possible. Dont fight if you dont have to.
View user profile

on Sat 24 Feb - 12:48
CelesChere wrote:While i know this is supposed to be a joke it is a thing in kenpo and its part of the purpose of the reverse bow stance. Both kenpo amd jiu jitsu teach you to try and escape first if possible. Dont fight if you dont have to.

Excellent advice. You can't get hurt if you don't fight.

Best,
UN

View user profile

on Sat 24 Feb - 19:16
Unowen17 wrote:crossing my eleventh-grade chem teacher... Smile

View user profile

on Sat 24 Feb - 19:20
OtherHans wrote:
I am the one who knocks. I am the danger.

(Snerk)

The real danger was Vice-Principal Lurch. Smile

Or us. We did things in that chem lab that would have warranted calling in the gents with the blue uniforms today. And a hazmat team.

Best,
UN

Admin
View user profile

on Sat 24 Feb - 21:11
OtherHans, I really like your humour ^_^ good timing
Also Unowen your life still sounds like you've had some experiences! and Celes that must've been jarring... elevators would make me skeptical too after that, even with safeties! thank goodness for safety engineers.

What about things that made us really nervous? or horrified? those are a little different than fear, I think. But they're similar too.

Last edited by sleepingrain on Sat 24 Feb - 21:12; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed typo.... "horrorified" should be a word, but isn't.)
View user profile

on Sun 25 Feb - 2:49
sleepingrain wrote:What about things that made us really nervous? or horrified? those are a little different than fear, I think. But they're similar too.

Horrified? First time I saw a dead body. An uncle at a viewing when I was about 12. Followed by an aunt the same day.

Best,
UN

Admin
View user profile

on Mon 26 Feb - 0:47
I'm not sure the scariest thing that's ever happened to me. My reflex is usually anxiety, which is like fear but doesn't feel quite the same. Fear is immanent, anxiety's future-oriented.
There's something scary from when I was little, like four or something. I don't remember it but my sis & mum do.

My most horrifying moment was seeing my sister cry. People cry, but this time was different. But I don't feel comfortable saying more about that. She appreciates her privacy as much as I do mine.

And my most nerve-wracking moment. I'm not sure. There's quite a few LOL
A nerve-wracking 'moment'. Some years back. I was living with somebody, with deep personal problems. He drank often, owned one or more guns, didn't have any respect for women and didn't much like gays. I never told him I wasn't straight, but I think he knew. I tried reasoning with him and building friendship... somedays it seemed we were making progress. But other times it seemed like he hated me for it too - an avoidant push-pull.
He wasn't particularly (physically) violent, though he was often bellicose. What worried me was, he didn't think clearly. He perceived most things as somebody insulting or conspiring against him. Like say, if I clapped my hands, he'd see this as me mocking him. Or swatting a fly, he'd think it was a criticism of him. Trying to explain otherwise didn't work well, he made up his mind right fast. Sometimes if I did something for him that helped; it felt unreasonable to me, but it kept the peace and I couldn't leave (personal reasons).
Paranoid & avoidant people aren't often dangerous. They're afraid, they'd rather run. The problem was, he was bigger than me so he felt he could harass me instead. Fearful people like that rush of power, I think.
For the most part I managed, though it truly bothered me some days. But one night, he was outside drinking - not surprisingly he was often meaner when drunk. I was pacing in the kitchen, and he was outside under the patio overhand; it was storming. He started kicking the front door, like he was trying to get in; it wasn't locked or anything. When I opened it to speak with him, he was just so... hateful towards me. It turned out he thought my pacing was me spying on him. So I asked him to come inside from the rain & I could fix him something to eat, but he didn't want any of that. Nothing I said made anything better, I remember vividly how angry he looked and how he couldn't be reasoned with. Navigating disordered people isn't often hard for me, but only because they talk with me. He totally shut me out. It was unsettling.
A few days later he was drunk again, talking to himself. He often did, like loud mumbling. He claimed he didn't, but I think he didn't want to admit it; it's embarrassing for some people. Usually his (externalized) internal monologue was depressing. Complaints about things, his personal problems. Not uncommonly it was lewd. I could handle these things.
But this time he was talking (thinking?) about how I was conspiring against him and how he'd 'solve' me if I tried anything (his thoughts were more in-depth than this). Since everything I did he saw as "trying something" and he was drunk often, and couldn't be reasoned with... I was very nervous. For a few minutes I was hysterical, in my own quiet little way. Worse, my bedroom had no door. Just an empty frame. I'd wanted to put a door up, but it wasn't accepted. So I put a shower curtain up instead. My bed was close by this shower curtain, and he often passed by it at night. There wasn't another place for my bed either; my room was narrow and barely long enough.
I couldn't leave (personal reasons), otherwise I would've. It would've meant homelessness but that didn't worry me at the time.
Sleeping in the weeks after that made me so anxious, especially my first night. I hid a knife under a napkin, on my windowsill. Not the first time in my life, though hopefully my last. I don't think I could stab somebody, it feels wrong for me. And I knew if he did anything I'd be asleep. But knowing it's there helps me sleep easier when things like that happen. It was my dad's.
Knowing he was cowardly helped. I don't like speaking ill of people just to speak ill, even him. But there's no other word for it. He didn't fear me but he knew other people liked me, which it seemed he resented. It meant trouble for him.
After a few weeks, some events changed his attitude. He still didn't like me, but we settled on an unspoken agreement. We avoided each other as often as possible, said as little as needed, stayed out of each other's way, etc. After a year or so of this he seemed better able to ignore my presence, and sometimes I could start small talk with him without him feeling bothered by me.

I lived with him for several years. I hope he finds peace. It would be better for everybody.
View user profile

on Mon 26 Feb - 1:42
Oh, Sleepy.

I hope you never treat yourself like that again. I mean living with that... words fail me.

Peace,
UN

Admin
View user profile

on Mon 26 Feb - 21:25
It's okay! don't worry yourself. I mean, it wasn't my preference. People treating me or others wrongly isn't lost on me. I knew he shouldn't have behaved that way, but circumstances kept me there. I tried making the best of them. Some days that didn't work so well, others weren't so bad.
And like you said before, it's not too uncommon. That doesn't make it right, or like we should "get used to it". It just means not everybody knows about it.

But. This thread's for scary stories! hopefully there's a few more to tell ^_^
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum