Kindred Spirits
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
MaggieLizer

Introduction: A classic case of half-sibling GSA Empty Introduction: A classic case of half-sibling GSA

Fri 14 Jul 2023 - 5:33
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Hi all! I'm a woman in my 40's, and I met my entire paternal family for the first time about 3 years ago as a result of a commercial DNA test. About 6 months ago, my relationship with my paternal half-brother (also an adult from the time that I met him) became sexual and we have been happily living together as a couple since then.

We live in the U.S. in a state where our relationship is illegal, and I'm primarily joining this forum to try to understand what I can do to help get the laws changed in individual states while still maintaining my anonymity (so as not to lose my job).

Thanks for reading my introduction!

FullMarriageEquality, hiddenromance, Unowen17, JackFrost, johner23, Dale55, Whiplash220 and Lisse like this post

Unowen17
Unowen17
Admin
Admin

Introduction: A classic case of half-sibling GSA Empty Re: Introduction: A classic case of half-sibling GSA

Fri 14 Jul 2023 - 8:54
Hi, Maggie, welcome to Kindred Spirits, and congratulations on your love with your half-brother. I’ve upgraded your account.

There are a few states where your relationship would not be illegal. New Jersey, Rhode Island, and I believe Ohio come to mind. For others, I have no easy answers. You might want to check out the Activism forum and Keith Pullman’s Full Marriage Equality blog, and if you have any ideas yourself, we’d love to hear them.

Peace,
UN

JackFrost likes this post

MaggieLizer

Introduction: A classic case of half-sibling GSA Empty Re: Introduction: A classic case of half-sibling GSA

Wed 19 Jul 2023 - 6:00
Thank you for the warm welcome, UN! Quick note: I don't think my account actually got upgraded... I can still only see the "PUBLIC" forum topics.

Unowen17 likes this post

Unowen17
Unowen17
Admin
Admin

Wed 19 Jul 2023 - 9:45
Sorry about that, Maggie, your account should be upgraded now.

Peace,
UN

MaggieLizer likes this post

OtherHans

Thu 20 Jul 2023 - 20:11
Congratulations on finding each other and having the courage to ignore the taboo.

As for the laws...not going to change. Laws for or against something only change AFTER society's views on the matter change first, and that's not going to happen.

What you can do is work to ensure that your relationship is kept private and is therefore not subject to state interference.

Unowen17 and Lisse like this post

Unowen17
Unowen17
Admin
Admin

Fri 21 Jul 2023 - 3:57
I wouldn’t be so pessimistic, Hans. I think the laws will change. Maybe not in our lifetimes, but sometime. For now, we can work quietly to pave the road to change.

I know there is a lot of interest in consanguinamory. Interest implies acceptance.

Peace,
UN

FullMarriageEquality, JackFrost, MaggieLizer and Lisse like this post

FullMarriageEquality
FullMarriageEquality
Admin
Admin
http://marriage-equality.blogspot.com

Fri 21 Jul 2023 - 17:14
Welcome aboard!

Mon 24 Jul 2023 - 18:47
Welcome to the forum.  Although most people in their 40's are pretty settled in terms of employment and home, this isn't always the case, and you might want to consider moving to a country where consanguinamorous relationships are not illegal.  There is a remarkably long list of countries that do not prohibit consenting incestuous relationships between adults.

Incest is legal in the countries of Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, France, India, Israel, Italy, Ivory Coast, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia, Serbia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, and in some states in the US (Ohio, Rhode Island and New Jersey.)

Incest (consenting, adult, incest relationship--CAIR) is not illegal in Ohio, Rhode Island and New Jersey not because those states are progressive and forward-thinking.  Far from it.  The laws against incest in those states were more-or-less "accidentally" removed and have not been replaced.  There is still plenty of animosity towards CAIR couples there, and significant social hostility.  The laws could be changed or re-instated at any time, creating a vulnerable legal position for anyone involved in a CAIR.

The same could be said to be true of many other countries as well, but if you intend to work towards legalizing (or at least decriminalizing) CAIR you would be wise to be very careful about from where you intend to do so.  You'd be a lot safer in France, Belgium or the Netherlands than you would be in New Jersey or Rhode Island.

In general, I do not advise ANY consang couple to come "out of the closet" on U.S. soil.  As long as you take proper security precautions (what we have called "OPSEC" precautions on this site) you should be flying sufficiently beneath the radar, but living in the closet in the U.S. is a degree of nerve-wracking anxiety that would be entirely absent in a country like the Netherlands.

JackFrost and Lisse like this post

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum